BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
itinerary

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwa sailor
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Note itinerary

Flying into Beef Island and doing our Sunsail overnite out of Road Town on Thanksgiving day. We would like to make it to Anagada as soon as possible. My question is, can I sail to the North Sound after the boat briefing or should I plan our first night at Cooper, Peter or Norman Island? Walker, thanks for the quick service on our chart to Anegada.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:05 pm    

We usually go to Norman the first night, Cooper would also work. Cooper would put you closer to North Sound. A lot depends on how quick you can get out of SunSail and that will depend on how motivated they are, which is usually slow.

I learned after my first trip, that you need to chill out and get on island time, if not the more you push the more they are going to slow down. So don't be in a hurry. I would probably not plan on North Sound the first night, only if you can get out early, then you are going to have to push it.

Take it easy it is your first day, get used to the boat, and let your crew get their sea legs. Go for Cooper.

Kent
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:22 am    

We usually overnight at Marina Cay before sailing to Anegada. Marina Cay is only 9 miles from the Sunsail base. You can motor to Marina Cay in less than 2 hours.

The trip to Leverick Bay from Sunsail is about 18 miles. You can motor to Leverick in about 3 hours.

You should be away from Sunsail by 1PM. If so, you could reach Leverick. If not, you should still be able to reach Marina Cay.
nwa sailor
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:53 pm    

Kent and Walker - Thanks for both suggestions. Although this will be our 5th bareboat out of Tortola, this will be my first outing to the North Sound and Anagada. Needless to say I am pretty excited about all of our new encounters. We have been to Marina Cay and enjoyed a great dinner at Donavan's Reef, (understand a new resort is in its place). Thought we might check out Leverick Bay and take part in their Friday night Bar B Q. And then a early start to Anagada after the painkillers wear off. Any other suggestions are appreicated. Thanks again guys. - Jonny
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:03 pm    

Jonny:

North sound is one of our favorite stops. It is a great place to jump off for Anageda. We will normally spend a couple of days in North south. a day at Saba Rock, Snokelling the reef, and a day/night at Leverick Bay. Last trip due to weather we hung around waiting on a system to move though before heading to Anageda,there is plenty to do in North sound.

We also try to spend at least a couple of nights at Anageda. Rent a vehicle for Dean and explore the island. Not sure of our itinerary this coming May, but both places are going to be on it.

Kent
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:20 am    

Agree wholeheartedly with Kentth. North Sound has lots of things to do, so if you get stuck there waiting for a weather window, you won't be too hard done by. We usually spend two nights there before Anegada, and if we can't get to Anegada because of weather, we decide from there where to go.

I would also recommend staying two nights in Anegada. You can spend a leisurely sail up, the whole next day exploring and then the next day leave for a leisurely sail to Jost or wherever. Very relaxing!

It's not worth busting your butt to get there, hop to the beach or exploring, rush to eat a lobster dinner, and then race out the next day to move on.
nwa sailor
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:12 pm    

Our plans are to spend two nights in Anagada. I have been in communication with a Loraine Wheatlley with An. Reef Hotel about a lobster dinner. She is also helping to arrange a bone fishing trip either the 26th or 27th of Nov. with Danny. We still have not decided on Cooper or Leverick Bay the first night. Either way we'll take Dawn's advice and stay in Leverick the night before Anagada. What ever we do, I don't want to get to wrapped up with a schedule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use