BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Fishing while at anchor?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Note Fishing while at anchor?

I asked this over at TTOL but I'll ask here too.
We are headed down this February for our second charter. Plan on doing some trolling this time and have found suffient info on the ins and out of trolling. But what about at anchor. What are your suggested techniques for dropping a line while anchored?
Kerry
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:04 pm    

Well, about sunset we start with a small hook and try and bottom fish to catch live bait. If we need to we just use a piece of chicken or meat. Once we get the smaller fish then we use them as live bait to catch whatever you want. after putting them on larger rigs of course.
If you are into Tarpon, then turning on the back lights (which works well for all kinds of fishing) but getting the silversides with a small net or strainer or something, and then using them live, one or two to a hook for the tarpon works.
Just remember to let anything you hook at night run and tire itself out first, and watch out for lining touching the hulls, then it is usually all over.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:52 pm    

Would this rod be suitable for trolling?
http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.com/p/fishing/c-offshore-rods/FTU-CUHR.html
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:18 pm    

That rod is perfect for trolling - and for fishing at anchor. I have one with a Shimano TLD 20 reel on it. Great setup.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:55 am    

Well I bought the rod and for an extra $15 I got an AR30GR Arsenal reel. I thought this rod might break down enough to fit in my check bag but it will not. Whats the best way to travel with this rod?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:25 am    

Just carry it on. No problem - fits in overhead bin.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:24 am    

So I will have my carry on bag and the the rod is fine to carry on also?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:46 pm    

Yep. No problem. I do it very often!
MrMBurz
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:46 am    

Thanks for the tips on fishing while at anchor.

I too considered getting the helicopter rod before our charter last June, but because we were already carrying on 4 spinning rods, we decided to make some D-handles for trolling instead. Cheap and simple and fits in your carry-on. We had 2 tied off the stern. After we returned, I read an article in Sail magazine about this very technique and their recommendation was to have at least 2 lures on each line to increase your odds. We had a lot of fun trolling while sailing, especially the kids.

Here's a link to an article on the D-Handle I mentioned.

http://www.anything-sailing.com/showthread.php/2664-A-Simple-Handline-for-Trolling-while-Sailing?p=34039.

Please post a fishing report upon your return Rusty...good luck.
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:55 am    

Thats a neat set-up. I already bought one of these. http://waaycool.com/

On most other sights that I visit including AS, I go by tropicalfever.
MrMBurz
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:14 pm    

Those handlines do look really nice. Thanks for the link.
What are you going to use for bait while trolling? Lures? Live bait?
Rusty
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:16 pm    

I'm just going to use skirted lures for trolling.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:30 pm    

Rusty wrote:
I'm just going to use skirted lures for trolling.

Pretty hard to beat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use