BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
12V power outlet on Sunsail 384

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaintGermain
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Note 12V power outlet on Sunsail 384

Hello,

We will make a trip in the BVI on a Sunsail 384 and it is mentionned that the boat has a 12v DC switch panel and 12V outlet sockets at switch panel and at helmstation.
But I was wondering exactly what kind of outlet socket that is ? There seems to be many currently used on boats.

Is there a norm or a standard reference for me to find the relevant adapter ?

Thanks in advance,
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:33 am    

The 12v power outlets are standard sockets that accept a 12-volt auto plug (cigarette lighter plug).
SaintGermain
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:46 am    

Ok great. Thanks a lot !
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:34 pm    

We usually take a 12Volt DC to 120 Volt AC inverter. gives us the ability to recharge laptop batteries, cell phones, etc. also take car chargers for anything that we have. I have a laptop charger that will work off of 12 volt, gps 12 volt, and cell phone 12 volt charger.

Most of the 12 volt to 120 inverters. will not power a blow/hair dryer or high wattage device.

Kent
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:30 pm    

I bring an inverter too...but the last boat had one already. Kudo's to Conch for that one!
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:27 am    

One warning... if you bring a high-capacity inverter (say 500W) you can easily exceed the current capacity of the standard 12V plug and either blow the fuse in the inverter supply line, or blow the fuse in the supply line to the 12V plug itself.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:19 am    

Twanger wrote:
One warning... if you bring a high-capacity inverter (say 500W) you can easily exceed the current capacity of the standard 12V plug and either blow the fuse in the inverter supply line, or blow the fuse in the supply line to the 12V plug itself.

Or melt the plug and socket, potentially starting a fire. Cigarette style plugs are only rated for 15A - less than 200W.

When I have had higher power 12V loads I go to the battery bank or the power distribution bus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use