BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Do you use the holding tanks on a bareboat?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> What the Sh*t?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Simple question - do you use the holding tank? (Answers guaranteed to remain anonymous!)
I always use the holding tank if the boat has one.
50%
 50%  [ 29 ]
I use the holding tank sometimes, depending on where I am.
24%
 24%  [ 14 ]
I never use the holding tank.
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 58

walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject:  Do you use the holding tanks on a bareboat?

Most of the newer charter bareboats these days have a holding tank. Do you use it? (Answers remain anonymous!)

Last edited by walker on Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:18 pm    

Our last charter did not appear to have holding tanks.

Given the discussions of late, I will be sure to inquire about their use on our next charter.

BVI Ken
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:25 pm    

sure would use them , IF the boat is equipped with them, and than pump them put way out of sea ......

I dont want to start anything, but I thing all those discussions on the other board are somewhat biased against charter boats. I might be wrong, just my feeling. We sailors are for sure very much interested to keep "our" waters as pristine as possible.

lol

Thor
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject:  Holding Tanks

To be honest...the BVI is my first sail outside of the US and I was rather SHOCKED to learn that it was not a REQUIREMENT to use a holding tank. I mean, the BVI are small protected waters......thereby, pretty much holding close whatever is released upon it...........I guess we can all do the math from there.........Pat
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:38 am    

I've sailed on a Privilege out of Nanny Cay and a Voyage 440 out of Sopers Hole; both charter companies told us NOT to use the holding tank. In fact, I think they had rigged the "Y" valve so you couldn't move it to the holding tanks. Our rule on board was not to flush the head when we were anchored. Every one would run down below, once we were well clear of the anchorage and out in deeper water to use the heads. Are there pump out stations anywhere in the BVI?
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:28 am    

My understanding is that there are not pump out stations and this is part of the reason the charter companies either don't have holding tanks in their boats or insist that you not use them if they are there.

We do the same as RumBa mentioned. We like to swim in our anchorages (except soapers...I just can't bring myself to both get in the water AND feel good about it) and there's nothing so disconcerting as watching something float by when you're trying to float with a Carib in hand. Confused

edited to add: If there are pump out stations, then please correct me. I'd love to know that they're down there. I was told there are not by a sailing instructor in the BVI in November. But he doesn't live down there, so he could have been mistaken.
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:  RE: Pump-outs

Hi

According to Ed Hamiltonís article on the new Moorings/Sunsail base (December Ď07 ):
"To accommodate more boats, the docks have been extended and a new breakwater has been built parallel to the harbor entrance. Many people were skeptical that this could be built in time, but the breakwater is in and while the very end of the Cay is still very much a building site, the additional hotel rooms on the point are Footloose yacht charter base coming along nicely. A dockside vacuum plant for cleaning bilges and a holding tank pump out station are planned, plus special attention is been given to the natural circulation of water around the docks, to try to keep the whole facility environmentally friendly."
Iíll believe it when I see it.

Peace
Dugg and Chris
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:58 pm    

Since my post above I've been back to the Moorings. During our briefing we were asked to use the tanks when in close and empty them while out in the channel or making passage. We did and all worked well.
tothedogs
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:01 pm    

We just returned from a TMM charter and were instructed similarly - to use the tanks when in anchorages and empty them when well offshore.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 am    

Just returned from a Footloose charter but was upgraded to a Moorings boat. When we were briefed on the Moorings 4300 cat by the Footloose rep, I very specifically asked him about holding tanks, etc. He was kind of coy about the whole thing and said "this was a political issue." I asked political internally or with the BVI government. He just kind of shrugged and started to go on. I asked again if we can use the holding tanks and he just ignored me. I wanted to use them with the intention of not having to discharge anything in the anchorages. I ended up not using them and having the crew go to shore if at all possible. The boat had holding tanks as there were instructions and caution signs all over each of the 4 heads.
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:57 pm    

My guess is the charter companies look at holding tanks as an imminent maintenance issue.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:48 am    

H Man wrote:
My guess is the charter companies look at holding tanks as an imminent maintenance issue.

I imagine they ("they" particularly being the dock workers) don't want boats coming back in with full holding tanks. Without facilities they would chew up a lot of time and labor taking the boats out to dump the tanks.
surfdog
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:48 pm    

During a charter with Moorings in May, we were advised that there would be a charge of $400 if the holding tanks were not empty when the boat was returned. They did explain how to use the tanks while at anchorage.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:11 pm    

We just finished a charter aboard a Sunsail Jenneau 36i and we switched to holding tank any time we were in an anchorage or mooring field.

I actually had to get out the owners manual, and what was new to me was the absence of a "y-valve". Instead, in this setup, all black-water flows through the holding tank. If the overboard valve is open, it goes overboard. If not, it remains in the holding tank.

So, one merely has to close the overboard valve when in an anchorage or mooring field. Once well at sea, you can open it if you wish and your holding tank will be cleared.

Kupe
Capn Ron
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Note Yes

WE used the holcing tanks on our last trip
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:45 pm    

I asked when I was aboard my last Conch charter a few weeks ago, and the answer was, if it has holding tanks, hopefully it's been by-passed, we don't need the hassle...

wasn't happy, but wasn't surprised either...
Maytrix
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:48 pm    

DawnB wrote:
I asked when I was aboard my last Conch charter a few weeks ago, and the answer was, if it has holding tanks, hopefully it's been by-passed, we don't need the hassle...

wasn't happy, but wasn't surprised either...

This is what the folks at Conch said?

That's too bad. It looks like this topic has progressed since it was initially started and the charter companies are encouraging holding tank use. Our first charter was 2009 and they told us to use it - same thing ever since. Both Moorings and Sunsail.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 pm    

I don't think I have ever had a holding tank in the Caribbean - anywhere - except on a private boat.

Unfortunate, but what can one do? We tried not to use the heads until we were underway, but realistically? Unless we held it, it didn't quite work that way!
Maytrix
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:05 pm    

I'm surprise more companies don't have them. I believe all Moorings/Sunsail and footloose boats have them now. I know all the new ones do from what I've seen at least.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:24 pm    

We used them too.
One thing about dumping them... Beating into the wind or a broad reach is fine.
Be prepared to wretch if you empty them when headed down-end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> What the Sh*t? All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use