BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Anegada Fly Fishing

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Note Anegada Fly Fishing

This site has been an amazing resource. Thanks so much. We’ll be in BVI this December and plan on spending three full days and nights on Anegada on the flats. We’ll be doing some offshore as well. I have a few questions.

I read somewhere that there might be a fly shop coming to Anegada. I do realize that it’s a really small island so I took that with a grain of salt, but it’s certainly worth asking: is there a fly shop on the island. How about a tackle shop with an emphasis on flies anywhere in BVI.

How tidal is the fishing on the flats. I’ve read that the tides only move about 14” of water. Does fishing shut down at any point in the tidal cycle. Are the bones really tied to that incoming tide washing food onto the flats or are they feeding for most of the day.

Fly suggestions…anything you wouldn’t leave home without. I started tying for this trip last week and man is it getting me excited.

Thanks in advance for your help. I don’t think this will be my last set of questions and I’ll be sure to continue to check out your pictures since they are giving me so much to look forward to.
AB
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:57 pm    

I have no idea where you heard that a fly shop might be coming to Anegada, but - if so - I sure don't know anything about it. We have a small shop that has a bit of tackle in the village, but it is very limited and has zero fly fishing tackle.

As far as I know, the nearest shop with any fly gear at all is in St. Thomas. We are a pure bring-your-own island.

Most days, our tides are less than a foot per day. And yes - the bonefish are definitely tide-sensitive - incoming tide is the time to be on the flats.

Standard bonefish flies work - gotchas and charlies. However, this year, I discovered a new bonefish fly that is now my go-to fly. A couple of guys from Colorado introduced it to me, and it really works.

I normally fish crab patterns and crazy charlies, but these guys had a fly that they were raving about. They don't get to fish a lot in the winter, so they had dozens of them tied up and gave me a few. They just call it a "fuzzy".

Their description of it's action was totally contrary to my knowledge of bonefish flies - the fuzzy suspends, sinking very slowly. But they told me that they had been very successful with it on one of the flats on the north side of the island - that the strikes on it were instant.

So - I had to give it a try. They were right - all of my hookups were instant - within a second of the fly hitting the water. So much for the standard practice of getting the fly on the bottom.

This is an extremely simple fly - a #4 or #6, touch of crystal flash, tan craft fur, bead chain eyes, and a dubbed and trimmed head of craft fur. In the water it looks like a tan minnow. They do it with and without an epoxy head. All of my fish were on one with an epoxy head - including the shark.

I have now tied up a dozen or so of each.

With epoxy head:

Without:

Tan is the color for any fly - it matches the color of the south side flats.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:21 am    

Thanks so much Walker. I can't recall where I read about the fly shop but I could have just been confused about that small tackle shop.

I'll be sure to have some of those in the arsenal.

Are there many Permit? I haven't seen much out there but given the area I'm wondering if we might have a shot at some.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:25 am    

There are permit - few and far between. Best shot at one is around the edges of the east end flats. Danny Vanterpool is very good at finding them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use