BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Ciguatera poisoning

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Note Ciguatera poisoning

I am planning on trolling while sailing mid-month. Should I be concerned with Ciguatera poisoning if I am lucky enough to boat a wahoo, cero, dolphin or tuna?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 pm    

None of those fish should be a ciguatera worry. They are pelagic species and do not feed on reef fish - so do not carry ciguatera.

Ciguatera-carrying species are snapper, grouper, barracuda, and other reef fish.
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 pm    

If you are near land you can easily check the fish by placing a small chunk of it on an ant hill. If the ants go for it, you are good to go. If there is something wrong the ants will not eat it.
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:38 pm    

Just a heads up if anyone is reading this... Everything I've read has said these types of Ciguatera detection do not work. teammac might have a trick, but do some research is all I'm saying.

drew

teammac wrote:
If you are near land you can easily check the fish by placing a small chunk of it on an ant hill. If the ants go for it, you are good to go. If there is something wrong the ants will not eat it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use