BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Channel Entrance Buoy Status

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject:  Channel Entrance Buoy Status

The outer green buoy and the 2nd red buoy are missing.

The other buoys (outer red, innermost red, and innermost green) are on station.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:18 pm    

The green channel marker is back in place at the entrance to the Anegada channel.

The second red buoy is still missing.
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:55 am    

Any new updates on this topic? How were things on your recent trip to Anegada from a navigational point of view? Welcome back by the way!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:52 am    

No changes. All buoys are there except for the second red buoy (N18 42.889 W64 23.416).
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:43 am    

Gracias Senor
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject:  Anegada

New member here; Hector Davila from San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Planning first visit to Anegada (07/06) after many visits to the BVI. Appreciate the info you have posted particularly about Anegada, here and in the BVIPirate website. I hope to be able to contribute in the future.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:53 am    

The first red buoy (as you travel from the channel entrance) is now missing, as well as the second red buoy.
tothedogs
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:18 am    

Walker,

Do you know if there is anything left in the outer part of the channel, or is the inner green buoy the only one currently standing?

If this is the case, do you have any feel for the liklelihood of there being something to mark the outer channel being in place by early June (I have a selfish motive as we go down at that time).

Thanks,

Bob
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:24 am    

The two channel entrance buoys are still there. The red one has been displaced a little bit toward the center of the channel, making the distance between it and the green can at the entrance a bit smaller.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:24 pm    

Walker, If I'm reading correctly there are only three buoys at present....the green and red channel entrance one and the final green buoy I am to keep to port before turning to the mooring field. Does this sound correct? If so, once I enter the channel between the two red and green buoys what should my heading be as I head toward the second green buoy?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:42 am    

The heading from the entrance to the inner green buoy is 078 magnetic. However, you should be able to see the inner green buoy from the channel entrance. It will appear to be up the coastline, near end of the government dock, to the right of Setting Point.

Do not let yourself get set to the north by the wind. It is OK to get south of the channel - there is nothing but clear water for a few hundred yards after you get inside the channel and past the Two Sisters coral heads on the right. There is shallow water to the left of the channel about 2/3 of the way in - so stay to the right.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:29 am    

Thank you Walker. We're headed down Friday and should be to Anegada Wed. late morning. Too bad we'll miss you but look forward to meeting you one day during one of our travels.
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:52 am    

Walker, since you are now on Anegada, any new updates on the channel markers, or is the last report still good? FYI, thanks so much for your Anegada guide on this website. While preparing for our next trip, next week, we discovered that all of our old info was missing. Thanks to you it is back in "the folder" .
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:36 am    

The outer channel markers as mentioned were a bit closer together than I remember.
We were there July 2, 2008.

The furthest in big green bouy is there and several red and green along the channel, it was really a no-brainer, didn't even look at the GPS, we were too busy taunting the Lagoon 440 Claire that smoked on a race from north Sound!!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:50 am    

I am sitting at Neptune's right now looking at the channel markers. They are as stated in my Navigating to Anegada web page.

Outer red & green at the channel entrance, two intermediate reds along the channel, and an inner green at the end of the channel.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:18 pm    

What's the news on the channel markers and also the anchorage as far as depth changes and debris after Earl hammered the area?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:23 pm    

Markers are still there - and seem to be in their correct locations. I will take the Whaler out in a couple of weeks and check.

No reason to suspect any significant depth changes. The channel is not a dredged channel - just a marked path across the seabed.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:52 pm    

The depth change concerns all of the sand that was moved during Earl, another concern is what debris is still in the anchorage, from vehicles, boats to dock parts, etc.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:55 pm    

Like I said, no reason to suspect any significant depth changes.

Debris: There is still some debris from the docks in the immediate vicinity of the old docks. Everything that broke off and could float came ashore - it was an onshore sea and wind that did the destruction. I am certain that the area surrounding the new docks will be clean of any old debris when the docks are completed.

There is no debris out in the anchorage/mooring field.

Vehicles and boats: We did not lose any. All are accounted for.
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:34 am    

FYI - as reported by BillH on TTOL, one of the green markers broke free yesterday. No confirmation yet on which one, but it is believed that the outer marker is still in place.

As I recall, there were only 2 green markers so that would mean in the inner marker that you round to enter the anchorage is missing. Does that sound right, Walker??
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 am    

Sounds right. 3 new buoys (one green and two red) arrived last Wednesday on the Isabel V (Kenneth Faulkner's barge). It looks like they will be replacements for the inner buoys.
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:27 am    

Maybe we should start a betting pool on how long it takes to see those new buoys installed...
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:01 pm    

Man, I hope it's by July - we'll be visiting then.
I have old GPS tracks into the anchorage that I could follow, but buoys are better & easier!
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Note Channel markers

Twanger - what was the status of the markers?
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:16 am    

The buoys were there as of 7/19. Smile and still in the configuration you see on Walker's chart on BVIpirate.com.

see: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-66078603629193_2176_1639882

That is... red/green pair of outer buoys, red buoy at the mid-point of the channel, and a green buoy at the entrance of the outer anchorage.

Ok, so here's a funny story or two...

On July 19th we were cruising in through the channel at about 4 knots around the last green buoy, just taking our time.
The outer anchorage was almost full, just a couple of balls left.
I didn't really care because I want to anchor or moor in front of Neptune's, and that anchorage was empty.
A powercat was following us in.

So after rounding the last buoy this jerk decides he's going to race me to the 'last ball' in the outer anchorage, and throttles up to about 7 knots to pass me, trying to crowd me on the port side. I decide to reward his jerkism by screwing with him a little, so I throttle up to about 6 knots (he's still behind me) and drift to port a little (knowing which ball he's going to try to steal from me) which forces him to go even faster.

I pass by the ball just before he jams it into reverse and tries to stops over it. He miserably fails to make the pick-up. Bwahahahahahaha. I wave as we head to the anchorage in front of Neptunes and pick up a ball. I hope the jerk learned his lesson, but jerks seldom do.

Story 2 -

We were sitting in the anchorage about 6pm having a malt beverage when I spy a 12-foot dingy filled with 7-8 large adults motoring from ARH dock to Neptunes dock. Somehow they have missed the memo about a reef being there, and they are about 50 yards off the shore making about 5-6 knots directly toward the reef. I point this 'situation' out to my step-son. It's windy, and over the sound of their motor I know that there's no way we could possibly warn them off, so we can only watch in morbid fascination, unable to look away. There are small waves breaking right on the reef in front of them, yet they plow on, unaware and undeterred. Crunch! They hit the reef and the engine stops (best that I can tell). Panic ensues. One person starts paddling with their hand, and another with their leg. Finally the oars come out and they start fending off the reef and eventually get the boat turned around. They get the engine started, and amazingly, the outboard is functional and they turn tail and head into the outer anchorage, having abandoned all thoughts of frosty drinks with umbrellas in them. Secretly I was hoping they were from the powercat but alas, no such luck!

Never a dull moment cruising!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use