BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Find Me SPOT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:53 pm    

Walker wrote:
MrBombastic wrote:
I_AM_CDN wrote:
I wouldn't use an EPIRB in a plane

You would if you were flying over water! The ELT is useless after the plane sinks. We carry an EPIRB (and a life raft) when we fly our plane to the islands - which will happen next month.

Hmmm...very good point! Didn't quite think of that one. Should have said wouldn't use SPOT on a plane yikes laugh
skip1007
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Note Bicycle trip update

A few of you have wondered about the continuation of the bicycle trip - recall that my son wrote:

"The next day I was riding around town and ran into a couple dudes riding south, to Argentina. We all ride the same speed so for now riding together, One guy John is from Kansas a mech eng. and the other is Graham from England."

After Chris completed his ride in Cabo San Lucas, John and Graham crossed over into the Mexican mainland. Eventually they split up with John returning to the US. Graham continued on and last week - he arrived in Buenos Aires. That's a long ride!!!

Bob
philthepilot
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:21 pm    

I had never heard of the Spot before reading about it on this site. Thanks Walker.
I bought one the other day from Bass Pro shop. Looking forward to trying out the tracking feature this May in the islands
philippd
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:21 pm    

When I found out about SPOT I searched for similar products before buying one. I have bought a Delorme inReach SE now as there are some advantages:
- Spot uses Globalstar satellite network. This means a satellite does need contact to the spot as well as to a ground station directly. When you are far out on the ocean you will not be able to send messages as the satellites above you will not be able to reach a ground station. InReach uses iridium network instead. As iridium satellites will relay you messages from one satellite to another until a satellite is able to reach a ground station you will be able to use inReach everywhere in the world.
- SPOT is only able to send out messages but is not able to receive messages. You donít even know if your message has been sent successfully. inReach is a two-way system. You will get a confirmation that a message has been sent successfully and you will be able to receive messages
- Tracking and SOS mode is also included
InReach is only a little bit more expensive than current spot devices.
eengstrom
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:54 pm    

In charter coastal waters, spot is a fun toy. I need don't use it as much as I had hoped when purchased. However it is fun. Since I charter regularly with random crew recruited from websites, I make use of it to message their families and kin during our trips as I don't really want to have them as "friends" to see Facebook updates and navionics tracks, photos, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use