BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Garmin Mapsource North American

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject:  Garmin Mapsource North American

Does anyone know if the Garmin MapSource North American edition covers the BVI. It says it covers Puerto Rico which is close, but I would want to know before I ordered one.

Ken
===
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:22 pm    

BlueChart Americas (Garmin Part Number 010-10317-00) covers the BVI. I have it.

None of the other MapSource products (City Select, Roads & Recreation, MetroGuide, etc.) except for WorldMap cover the BVI.
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:13 pm    

Walker wrote:
BlueChart Americas (Garmin Part Number 010-10317-00) covers the BVI. I have it.

Thanks for the info on the Garmin products.

A few other questions:

Do the BVI individual islands show up on the Garmin built in basemaps (at proper positions)?

How does BlueChart compare to your own on-site readings?

Ken
===
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:41 pm    

The islands do show up in my basemap, but they are only very very rough outlines, not nearly good enough to be very useful. I also suspect that the basemap is different from unit to unit.

My primary portable GPS is a Garmin GPSMAP 196. I just took these photos to show the difference in detail between the GPSMAP 196 basemap and the BlueChart.

This shot is basemap only, 0.8 nm scale:

With BlueChart:

At 800ft scale, basemap only:

With BlueChart:

As for accuracy, the BlueChart charts are about as good as you can expect. Remember, they came from ordinary printed charts. You might want to read my "essay" about GPS and charts at www.bvipirate.com/ChartNav.html.

Also, you might notice that in the second photo, all of my waypoints appear to be to the southwest of their proper positions. Actually, the BlueChart map that is used at that scale has an incorrect datum, and it is the chart itself that is incorrect. The chart is shifted to the northeast of its proper datum. Look at the Cane Garden Bay and Brewer's Bay waypoints -- they appear to be ashore!

I took this last photo zoomed in from 0.8 to 0.3nm range. You can see that the GPS has changed to a different BlueChart map, and it's datum is right on.

Yes, it is 1799nm from our house to Brandywine Bay!
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:06 pm    

Walker wrote:
You might want to read my "essay" about GPS and charts at www.bvipirate.com/ChartNav.html.

I read your essay and your posting quite throughly.

My existing (very old) GPS has no maps of any kind. Using it along with paper charts and eyeballs seemed to do a fine job on our BVI trip.

I am shopping for a new GPS mostly for use in the car, but from reading all of your information, I don't think I would gain any significant advantage by getting BlueChart. It seems like all it could do is to lead someone into a false sense of security. It looks like the only time you might really need it is if you were lost in the fog. Or, am I missing some great advantage the BlueChart might provide?
Walker wrote:
Yes, it is 1799nm from our house to Brandywine Bay!
Thanks for pointing that out. I now know that my house is 1473nm from Brandywine Bay. smashpc
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:59 am    

The fact is that you don't need BlueChart in the BVI, or anywhere else. Paper charts are absolutely as good, just not as convenient.

Navigation in the BVI is line-of-sight, so you don't need GPS either.

I prefer electronic to paper, but that's purely my preference. And I have paper backup charts if GPS goes out. It happens -- we had a morning in the BVI two years ago when all GPS was out for a couple of hours.

As for false sense of security -- I don't see that. A chart is a chart, and it would be foolish to not have some sort of chart aboard. To this end, the BlueChart is handy because you don't have to transcribe lat/lon positions to a paper chart. You can see your precise position immediately.

Having a GPS does not prevent one from using poor judgement, but I don't think that it contributes to poor judgement either.

GPS is absolutely wonderful in the car -- particularly when we are in an unfamiliar place. Being able to simply punch in an address and be shown how to get there makes travel so much easier. Also, detouring around construction or traffic is very easy.

When we have spare time on vacation and are in a "touring" mood, the GPS lets us take any road we please at our leisure, then find the best way back when we are ready. We have used it this way a lot on trips to the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, the Pennsylvania Amish country, etc.
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:15 pm    

Walker wrote:
When we have spare time on vacation and are in a "touring" mood, the GPS lets us take any road we please at our leisure, then find the best way back when we are ready. We have used it this way a lot on trips to the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, the Pennsylvania Amish country, etc.
That's a great idea. I'll try to remember this on my next trip to Napa/Sonoma.

I have used my old GPS hooked up to my old laptop in the past, but the number of devices and wires made it very awkward. I'm looking forward to having a GPS that doesn't need the laptop to be highly useful.

Thanks again for sharing you knowledge.
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Note Blue Chart

I just bought a used gpsmap 76s. If I buy the bluechrarts program on e-bay do I still need to buy from garmin a unlock code for the very detail charts on the bvi's or is the general blue chart fairly detailed? I see your pic of the base map I would be fine with that, so what is the advantage of paying for the unlock code?
andrep2182
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Note Re: Blue Chart

BadGybe wrote:
I just bought a used gpsmap 76s. If I buy the bluechrarts program on e-bay do I still need to buy from garmin a unlock code for the very detail charts on the bvi's or is the general blue chart fairly detailed? I see your pic of the base map I would be fine with that, so what is the advantage of paying for the unlock code?

Go to that adress : http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/

They have a Caribbean Map that has a few marine details and it's free.
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Note Re: Blue Chart

BadGybe wrote:

I have the Blue Chart Americas CD version 9.5 and it came with an unlock certificate which I used to set up my GPS Map 76 unit for BVI trips. Later, for trips at home I had to purchase another unlock for regions in the PNW.

I think the chart memory is something like 8 MB on my unit, so after my summer trips at home, I had to reload the unit with the BVI charts. Once you've unlocked it to your PC it is yours forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use