BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
St. John vs. the BVI

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Idea St. John vs. the BVI
Calendar eventOct 04 2004

First of all, I absolutely love your site. We have cruised in the BVI for 4 years now (couple of weeks per year), read most of what is on the web regarding the virgins, and this is by far my favorite site.

Now, my question: I'm coming down in december for a few weeks ( thru the moorings in road town) and I'm thinking about spending a day or two in st. john. We have been everywhere in the bvi at least once, but never left the bvi and we are looking for something different.

1. does anyone know if the Moorings will care if we leave the bvi?
2. can i go over to st. john for just one night, run up a Q flag (dont know if the moorings boats even have one) and leave the next morning w/o ever clearing customs?
3. if i must clear customs, should i go to caneel bay and dingy to cruz bay and if so, how much total time do you estimate i will spend dealing with clearing in?
4. Can i clear in and out at the same time if I'm only staying one or two days?
5. And, finally, if you only had one night there, is truck bay the best (quiet and beautiful) place to go?

Thanks for any advice.
Derek and Brenda.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:12 pm    

Derek or Brenda,

1. not 100% sue but think so..Sunsail does
2. no...not anymore...but it is really not a big deal to clear in and out
3. Several options.....you can actually go into Cruz Bay just by the customs office and moor or anchor there for a short while...I don't recommend it as you might hinder commercial traffic....You can moor on one of the free moorings at the very end of Caneel and dinghy in (not forgetting to put as many lifejackets in the ding as you have people)...it is a 5 minutes ride and you don't have to worry about the boat....You can also get a cab from the club and clear that way. The clearing procedure takes 2 minutes but Cruz Bay is worth staying a bit more....
4. US yes BVIs no...you will have to clear back in when you get back.
5. If you are looking for really secluded Lemeshur is even more quiet...but I would not go through all of this just to be in a quiet bay....
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:41 pm    

1. The Moorings does not care if you go to the USVI. They will advise you against it in the briefing, but they do allow it with no hassle.

2-5. Same answer as Herve.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:54 am    

Thanks for the info. I think I'll save st. johns until this summer. I plan to try to make it to Culubra in July when I come down for a full month. Thanks again for the info and for managing such a great site. Derek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use