BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Tripods in de ilons
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Question Tripods in de ilons

I'm still over two months out from my trip, but I'm already planning how I'll pack my bags. This will be my first trip to the BVI since picking up photography as a hobby, and consequently having way too much camera gear to lug around.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what other photographers have done about a tripod. I really enjoy night photography, long exposures using ambient light to illuminate a bay or a mountainside, etc. But I'm trying to pack light, and I'm not sure if I'll even have that many opportunities to use a tripod if I bring one.

So I guess I have three questions:

A) Do you find there are enough opportunities where a tripod would be both handy to use and you have enough time/space to set one up? (especially if you are staying on a boat)

B) If you do bring a tripod, what are your techniques for bringing it? Do you have a compact "travel" tripod, i.e., one less than 22" collapsed, or do you just hoof it with a full-size tripod in checked luggage?

C) Does anybody use a monopod and somehow jury-rig it into a tripod when necessary? Not sure how this would be done, but maybe by bracing it up against something. I don't use my monopod very much at all since I sold my big glass, but I suppose if there was a technique to use one for long exposures, it'd sure beat going out and buying another tripod just for the trip.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:26 am    

I make do with a gorillapod.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Note Tripods in de ilons

If people can manage to take fishing gear and snorkel gear in their luggage, they probably could get away with taking a light weight tripod (especially the miniature ones) - absent the above “stuff”. Walker’s suggestion is a great compromise. A tripod is the only real option in low light situations, though. But this doesn’t mean you have to lug a Bogen around!

The only time we have used a monopod was for taking video - it gets rid of camera shake. But it only eliminates vertical shake, so leaning against something to form a bipod helps with hozizontal shake. Plus, most of them fold up and take up less space. There are some good tips at : handshake

Dugg and Chris
Promise to get the ‘05 thru ‘08 pictures up soon (finally a few digital camera pictures instead of scanned slides).
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:35 pm    

Yeah Gorillapods are great. I use em for my flashguns all the time. My camera weighs too much for the gorillapod to really support, however. It will hold the camera, but even a light breeze gets it wobbling like a leaf on a twig when it's in tripod configuration. There is a new Gorillapod Focus, for higher-weight applications, but at $100 I want to play with one before I plunk down the big bucks.

That's a pretty good monopod article, thanks for posting the link. But like you said, a tripod is the only real option if the light really is that low.

I'm already toying with the idea of having a toy bag that I check for all the fun-but-nonessential stuff like masks/snorkels, pirate swag, etc, and if I end up going this route I can bring my full-sized tripod. Really don't want to though. I'll probably end up doing what Walker does and settle for a gorillapod.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:52 pm    

One thing that helps me is that the majority of my lenses are image-stabilized. I have done lots of very-low-light shots without a tripod by finding something convenient (like a palm tree trunk) to firmly brace the camera/lens against. Usually that is sufficient with IS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

Terms of Use