BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
shoulda brought list

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject:  shoulda brought list

being that you all have lots of experience sailing around the BVIs and we have no exp., I was wondering if you could provide a list of all those things you now normally bring down or buy that is not included in the boat or provision lists. i.e. does the coffee makers usually run on 12v boat juice or do we "need" a french press? I read something about bring a large cooler? and maybe breeze boosters? maybe divide the list into nice to have and we really should've brought the ___:-) we're bringing things like extra gps, nautical binoculars. what about small air matress for sleeping on deck if it's too hot below? also, i noticed a walker pattern of june/aug trips. is that best time of year or real life related? what's considered the worst time of year? best time of year? Thanks so much.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:17 pm    

Depends on the boat and what you like to do.....

On cats with the regular rope trampolines we bring thin foam mattresses to be more comfortable.
We bring noodles to just hang in the water in the areas where we still go in the water (sigh). We bring our own snorkeling/diving gear since the ones they let you use are in pretty poor shape usually
Also bring a small inverter to run some 110v (cameras, cellphone chargers etc..)
Depending on the boat and the charter company you should have GPS binoculars on board so there is no need there...Sunsail and moorings also provide breeze boosters.
There should be a french press for coffee as most boats are not well equipped with 12v or 110v appliances.

IMHO June is the best indeed, warmer waters, still nice trades and more importantly a lot less crowed (charter and cruise) but the place is still hoping...the only down side is that you usually run into Walker.... Razz
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:41 pm    

There are only a few things that we make certain that we pack for a bareboat trip. Here is our list:

Money.
Duct tape.
Money.
A 50' length of 3/8" braided line. It always comes in handy for something.
Money.
Paper coffee filters (the round flat type for a percolator). The coffee pot on the boat will be a percolator, and it really needs a filter.
Money.
Waterproof flashlight -- the size that uses 4 AA batteries. You can get a good one from REI.com. Boat flashlights suck.

Oh -- I almost forgot -- more money.

The main reason that Nancy and I are in the islands in the summer months is that she teaches school, and the summer is the only time that we can get away for more than a week.

We really like June. The place is less crowded, the charter rates are way lower, and the weather is very nice.
gsabert
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject:  Hammock

We love to bring a "Mexican hammock"
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:  what to bring?

I always bring the normal stuff you should bring on a boat when you're gonna be on it for a week or more: a sharp pocket knife, duct tape, bungee cords of various sizes, dental floss (for fixing torn canvass), NiMh batteries and charger, pen, paper, loose cash ($1 and $5 bills), hand held VHF, wood bungs (hope we don't need them), LCD headlamp (for dinghy at night and bilge whenever).

Each and every one of these items are kept in a "dittie bag" and each item has been used at one time or another during many charter trips!
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:55 am    

Thanks for the tips.

The one thing I've always found useful are glowsticks. While I don't think these would be needed in Anegada, possibly in other BVI anchorages they could be helpful depending on the number of boats.

This is my first time to the BVI but always sail the Newport/Ensenada race. In the race, we sail at night so they are great for not trashing your eyes. Once we get into Ensenada, since there are usually over 400 boats in this race, and thus the harbor, we run a bunch up in the rigging so we can find the boat after all the tequila we drink.

I hear rum could have the same effect. I'll let you know as I'm in RT tomorrow night, sailing on Saturday.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use