BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Fish Naked - Show Off Your Rod

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Note Fish Naked - Show Off Your Rod

We got up early this morning to paint the exterior woodwork. We were all done by about 10:30, I was hot and very sweaty, so I decided to cool off in the sea.

It is very quiet here now - no one around - so I dropped my shorts on a chair under the palapa and waded out into the cool Caribbean. I relaxed a bit and was mindlessly enjoying the water when I noticed shapes coming at me. TARPON! Damn - I should have my fly rod!

I hopped out and ran up to our cottage to grab my rod. A friend of mine in Houston had given me some tarpon flies that he had tied just before we left to come down. I told him that I would give his flies a shot, and hopefully get a nice pic of a tarpon with one of his flies in its mouth. So I took a couple of minutes and changed out to one of Andy's flies.

I waded back out and waited for about five minutes. Here they come! 3 tarpon coming my way. I put the fly well in front of them, waited until they were about 5 feet away from the fly, then started stripping.

FISH ON!

The really ironic thing was that another friend had just posted on Facebook this morning a picture of a neat old sign that a friend of his had given him. The sign had a painting of a guy fishing naked, and said "Fish Naked - Show Off Your Rod".

When I walked into the sea I had no plans for fishing - I just wanted to cool off. The fish happened to show up and the rest just happened.

Last edited by walker on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:56 am    

That pic of you holding the tarpon reminded me of the artful poses with towels draped over the important bits! LOL

I to have been caught while showering off the back of the boat when rays came into the anchorage....dropped the soap, grabbed my gear and off I went snorkeling!

Sometimes you just have to go with the moment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use