BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Conch Charters

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject:  Conch Charters

Has anyone used this company before. I heard they have been around for a long time and are good.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:49 pm    

Conch is about the best of the "second tier" charter companies. They have been around a long time, and they do a good job. They do have older boats, but they do a decent job maintaining them, and they provide better customer service than a lot of other companies (including some of the "first tier" companies).

All things considered, they provide very good value.

The mere fact that they have been around for quite some time speaks well for them, because it is very difficult to stay afloat as a second tier company if you do not have customer satisfaction.
Capn Ron
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject:  Conch Charters

WE have chartered with Conch twice. The staff is very helpful. The boats are older, but in good condition for the most part. We are in the process of planning another trip sometime this year, probably in October and with Conch Charters
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:03 am    

We just got back on January 29th from a charter with Conch, we are very happy repeat customers.

We found the staff to be even more helpful than before (starting during the week helps to get those little extras!), and Miles as always was thorough with the briefing of the boat.

The boat itself was in great shape and although we had a mainsail problem, it didn't deter us from considering Conch again.

Definitely would recommend them... Laughing
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 pm    

I highly recommend them, I just today put down my deposit for my third charter with them. their boats are definitely older, I bring tools and spare line and blocks, but I would do that on a new boat too. they are very hospitable and friendly, you canít beat the pre-charter briefing at the bar next door.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:36 pm    

You bring blocks? That seems like a heavy and expensive proposition to bring blocks for a 40-50' boat in your luggage with you. Have you ever needed to swap out a block while on charter?
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:47 pm    

Yes I have the blocks on the main traveler failed and we rigged a solution within a few minutes, I also rig a barberhauller since we have no spin on a charter and the genikeribs gizmos they give us are beat to heck. I assume if the full main sheet block were to fail I would have to use all of my reserve blocks however in an emergency (no engine either) I could sail it.

I know it is an uncommon practice however we sail to all locations and only use the motors for getting on and off moorings. I suppose if something broke we could just motor till they came and fixed it, but why wait.

They do not take up much space since I only bring about 4 shorts and 6 shirts and dive gear. no hair care products are needed and I wear my shoes on the plane.

besides the line is very useful for tying all of the floaty things to the deck and also under the boat at mooring to give the women some shade while they sip their drinks. (I only sail cats).
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Note Loved conch

we've charted with both Conch and the Moorings. While the Conch boat was a little older, it actually was set up better than the Moorings boat. no complaints about either compnay, but I think Conch is a far better value.
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:35 am    

I used them the last time I was in the BVIs. I will use them again when I come back. Jules and Miles are great!
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:00 pm    

cpMike wrote:
You bring blocks? That seems like a heavy and expensive proposition to bring blocks for a 40-50' boat in your luggage with you. Have you ever needed to swap out a block while on charter?

I also take blocks--two snatch blocks and two regular ones--on charter. I've never needed them for a failure, but have used them for barber haulers, to hoist hammocks, and for other odds and ends. I don't carry line -- I use docklines for whatever I need.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Bad Bad Communication & Customer Service

I used the company in Dec 2009. I had a nice vacation with them and the staff was friendly and helpful.
HOWEVER, communication was bad from the start and it got worse after they jacked my security deposit, the same goes for customer service.
From all the forums I've read, it seems like the service has gotten really bad the last 2 years, and everyone complains about being jacked!
Capn Ron
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:54 pm    

We had close to the same experience in May of '09. Communication was bad ,employees at the desk were rude and uncooperative. This was the third time we had chartered with them and recognized most of the staff outside the office. Outside of the office the staff was helpful and cordial. This is not the norm with our previous experiences. In the previous trips everything went smooth and everyone bent over backwards to take care of us. It seems that the office staff has diminished customer service skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use