BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Pompano

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Question Pompano

newbie to the board here, quick question. I've been reading in the archives of this site and the ttol site to try and gather info about inshore lightweight/fly fishing options for an upcoming shore based trip to Virgin Gorda. I have seen a number of posts talking about "pompano" along the beaches. Are they refering to the "florida pompano"? I target them on the gulf coast and they are great sportfish and fantastic table fare. Anyone have any insight on this.

Thanks in advance,

-Wyatt
New Orleans

Smile
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:55 am    

We do have some pompano - same as Florida, but not in any large numbers. We also have permit - a close relative.

Neither of them are plentiful enough to target.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:20 pm    

Walker, thanks for the quick reply. I have used jigs like the ones below to target pompano in the spring and fall along the gulf. I'll give them a try.

I also plan on bringing some of the Berkley swimming pogies you reccomended, along with gold and silver spoons, extra line and leader material, and 2/0 circle hooks.

I've done a couple of sailing trips in the BVI, and we've had mixed success trolling. Looking forward to our land based trip later this year. I'll get plenty of time to wade fish, that and kayak fishing are my favorite ways to fish. Just got a new Kayak, a Malibu Stealth 14, will be doing all the rigging this weekend and if I'm lucky do a quick trip on Sunday.

-Wyatt
New Orleans
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:29 pm    

When are you planning to be in the islands?
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Note my pending trip

We were sailing there in January, we had planned on doing a shore based trip in June, but that trip just had to be pushed back until early October (we're gonna play Tropical Storm lottery). Still really looking forward to it, but I have a couple of other shorter domestic adventures before October.

Took the new Yak out on Sunday, had a great day. Put in just off Hwy 23 south of the city, into some pretty broken marsh. Lite winds, moderate tide, first warm sunny day in weeks, really had the fish turned on. Wasn't able to do any real sight fishing but did find a few 12-14 inch trout, 2 short redfish, 4 nice puppy drum, and one fat sheephead. Released the trout and reds, grilled the drum and sheephead, tasty.

When I'm there in October I'll plan on ferrying over one day and walking/fishing some of that endless beach you have there. I was at my local tackle shop on Saturday and they carry the Berkey powerbait swimming pogies 3" that you said are the ticket for fishing the reefs. I picked up a couple of packs. Do you bounce them off the bottom or work them thru the water column?

-Wyatt
New Orleans
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Note small snappers

Just curious, do you eat any of the small snappers you catch off the reef? I hear everyones concerns about citigura, but I would think that the smaller snappers would be fine to eat. Am I incorrect that the real danger is from eating larger older snappers, grouper, etc... I'm thinking that those smaller/younger snappers would be quite tasty.

-Wyatt
New Orleans
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:36 pm    

Yes, we do eat the small snapper and grouper the we catch on the reef.

In fact, we eat almost everything that we catch on Anegada. The only things that we won't eat are cuda, horse-eye jack, bone fish (too boney!) and larger snapper (over 10 pounds).

Blue runner are great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use