BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Horizon: Bavaria 41

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todoc
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Note Horizon: Bavaria 41

We're getting ready to head down to the BVIs this weekend and have chartered a Bavaria 41 with Horizon out or Nanny Cay. This is our first time bareboating but our second time there. We want to go to Anegada as part of our itinerary. We've been there before on a captained boat and are familiar with the course and landmarks.

My question is, what do they typically ask during the briefings and what will they want to know in order to give permission to go to Anegada?

We own a boat on Lake Michigan and are sharing the charter with another boat owning couple. I have Walker's chart and waypoints. I have distance race and cruise experience on Lake Michigan and feel comfortable with navigation.
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:32 pm    

Just let them know your're going. Sounds like your experience more than qualifies you to make the trip.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:04 pm    

They may not be keen to have a first time bareboater take a charter boat into Anegada. A charter company sometimes likes to develop a working relationship with a customer before cutting loose $300,000+ of boat to a destination requiring some skills to arrive safely.

It could depend on how many experienced sailors you have on board. Having four experienced sailors is a plus. Your familiarity with the transit helps. They may also want to see another 'skipper resume' to show that there is someone else with navigation skills aboard.

It's not hard to sail there, but you know how it goes... it's not hard, everything looks good, and then something goes crunch. yikes

I think of the recent grounding of the Port Royal off Honolulu - An admiral was on board. Ugh. blush

I'd ask them about the best places to pick up diesel & water. If you want to anchor somewhere off the beaten path you might ask them if it's "red lined," i.e. forbidden.
Todoc
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:29 pm    

Has anyone out there used this boat?
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:00 pm    

Don't remember if we had a Bavaria 41 or 44, it was deep draft though, right about 7'.

Horizon OK'ed us for Anegada, we did just touch sand in front of ARF and found a deeper mooring, no worries.

The Bavarias are nice boats, the forward cabin was really nice, word of warning, if you are 6' tall the comanionway hatch will nail the top of your noggin every time if you are not careful.

My buddy Rick really did his in, it got to be almost funny, he would come up, whack!! "#@!7!! &*^%$!! we would get to laughing... Twisted Evil

Really, the top of his noggin looke like hamburger!

Back to the point, just clue them in by showing your approach charts and beam with confidence, they should be fine with it.

they will remind you that you will be on your own as far as servicing the boat, no chase boats to Anehada.
Todoc
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:30 pm    

Thanks for the replies guys. We can't wait to get down there. I think we already passed the first hurdle of getting the ok to go to Anegada. We filled out the provisioning list for Bobby's and just about sent it in when we noticed that the total came to $9500. When we checked it over we found that we had ordered 334 cases of Carib. The boat would have looked like a sea container ship with us asking for the ok to go. I cried but we decided to. Knock a few cases off the order.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:50 pm    

Now that would sink the boat!!

Horizon was very nice to us and we had a great trip.

We would use them now but just don't dig the breed of cat they offer.

Nanny Cay is also a great place to hang out for a day or 2 before your charter.

enjoy!!
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:47 pm    

We chartered w/ Horizon in a 44' Bavaria. Well equiped and well maintained. They did not want us to go to Anegada even though the skipper had been there multiple times. He was rusty w/ sailing and they didn't want to sign us off on it. Oh well, that's why were going back in 3 weeks. If you're cleared to go enjoy the lobsters. Yum
The only comment on the Bavaria I have was the rear berths were very stuffy at night. Very little air flow. The front cabin was great for our skipper and his 1st mate. We "the bilge crew" were in the rear cabin and weren't lovin life. Every night at about 1:30 we got the 20 mins of Pineapple rain which would wake us up and force us to close the hatches making us suffocate. I dont know a solution for the rear berths and wonder if anyone else has a good idea.
Other wise Horizon was great and the Bavaria was excellent.
Enjoy
andrew
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 am    

We've bareboated three times, Conch/TMM/Conch again. Conch told us we were on our own the first time; we didn't broach the subject with TMM, and on the second charter in three years with Conch, it was agreed without words that we could go wherever we wanted, and just bring the boat back in good shape. We bumped sand at Marina Cay; no big deal. We moored the 6' draft Beneteau 505 at the ARF with no problems as well.
gsabert
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am    

We've chartered with Horizon severl times...all great experiences....never an issue going to Anegada.
ecm56
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Note Short on Carib

Todoc wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. We can't wait to get down there. I think we already passed the first hurdle of getting the ok to go to Anegada. We filled out the provisioning list for Bobby's and just about sent it in when we noticed that the total came to $9500. When we checked it over we found that we had ordered 334 cases of Carib. The boat would have looked like a sea container ship with us asking for the ok to go. I cried but we decided to. Knock a few cases off the order.

Knocked a few cases off? Sounds to me like you might be a bit short . . .

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use