BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Mapsourse, GPS Coordinates
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Note Mapsourse, GPS Coordinates

I am trying to get some waypoints into my Mapsource to upload into my Garmin GPS for my upcoming trip to the Spanish Virgin Islands.

I am sure that I have the right lattitude & longitude, and the right grid, however the waypoints are way off when I look at them on the mapsource chart.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am using waypoints from Stephen Pavlidis' A Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands, and for example, I am trying to get the waypoint for 1/2 nm ENE of the Puerto Del Ray Marina in Fajardo. When I put it in my system, it ends up showing up about 1.3nm south of where I think the waypoint should be.

Any ideas? I have my datum set to WGS84 as the guide states, and my grid is set to "Lat.Lon hddd°mm.mmm'

The coordinates in the guide are N18° 16.45' W65° 37.45'

Can someone explain the reason why it isn't working for me, and what I might be able to do to fix it?

Disclaimer: I know that GPS coordinates are not supposed to be used instead of eyeballs, yada yada yada, but I do want to have an idea of GENERAL distances, etc., without them being TOO far off.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:54 pm    

When I enter that waypoint into my Mapsource, it shows as being about 350 feet east of Pta Figuerita. If that is not where you think it should be, it could be one of two things: either the waypoint in the Cruising Guide is incorrect, or the map data used by Mapsource is incorrect.

Could be either of the two.

There are lots of charts that have their geographic data incorrectly referenced, and there are lots of published waypoints that are wrong.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:31 am    

That's where my system shows it as well, but that's not where it shows on the charts in the guide.

Thanks, Walker, for confirming that I am not doing anything wrong, that the charts are off and or waypoints are off.

I'll set my own waypoint once I am there... in 16 days!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

Terms of Use