BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Lionfish spotted in the bight

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Note Lionfish spotted in the bight

Apparently White Squall found a Lionfish yesterday in the Bight. This is the second reported one, as someone reported seeing one off the cruise ship dock this summer. Inevitable that they have been spotted here.
It is being recommended that you kill the dang things and keep the carcass and turn it in. That seems to me to be quite dangerous for the average snorkeler/diver.
I am going to assume that we don't need a fishing license for that (tongue in cheek) and I would also feel much better using a spear gun to get them and not my bare hands.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:37 pm    

They are also considered quite edible but must be handled and prepared very carefully.

There is an online article of them being collected and prepared to eat, I think they used a propane torch to yield the spines non-lethal.

the threaat is not just to humans, but the whole ecosystem from what I have read.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:35 pm    

Yep, lionfish are a huge threat to entire coral reef ecosystems. Not to mention yet another thing to try to avoid in the water. Some of my crew for June are paranoid about encountering one while snorkeling so I told them that there aren't any in the BVI yet. Oops. blush

How exactly does one go about killing one if you're just out snorkeling? I can see scooping them up in a plastic bag or something and leaving them out to suffocate, but yeah I don't think I'm going to get my bare skin anywhere near one of those SOB's.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am    

After reading about these little scourge I have decided to buy a small speargun just for them, they are good eating and I would eat them, since it is illegal to spear normal fish in the BVI would it be legal to carry a gun just for them? I assume if you only have them in your boat the warden might look the other way but I would not want to do anything illegal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use