BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Ferry question

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Ferries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrep2182
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Note Ferry question

Hello gang,

What is happening with Smith ferry? Their website is suspended and there is rumors on TTOL about a change in operation in the ferry service from Roadtown to Anegada.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 am    

Nothing is happening as yet.

Websites come and go with the wind in the BVI - it seems that people do not realize that they actually have to pay their bills.

I do not pay any attention to rumors on TTOL. It irritates me that people that don't know squat about Anegada post things that others take seriously simply because the poster is one of the TTOL cabal. In particular, the posting about the potential loss of ferry service could have negative impact on Anegada because people will be afraid to make a reservation there.

The bottom line is that ferry service between Tortola and Anegada will not be interrupted. The life of the island depends on it, and Premier O'Neal is very much a friend of Anegada.
ecm56
Link to this postPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: BVIPirate Burgee Ferry

Thanks for the reassurance. I have to admit I was getting a bit worried when I read the reports on TTOL.

We're coming up July 1 - staying at Neptune's for the week - hope to see you all.

Eric
andrep2182
Link to this postPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Note Ferry changes

Post today at BVI Platinium

http://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?section=article&source=1243617111
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:30 am    

Walker wrote:
In particular, the posting about the potential loss of ferry service could have negative impact on Anegada because people will be afraid to make a reservation there.

Which is why posts on a message board clearly marked as a rumor (with conjecture/opinion added) should be treated as such. Anyone afraid to make a reservation based on that post is not doing proper research to prepare for a trip to Anegada. Subsequent posts seem to support the rumors to a degree, anyway.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 am    

Unless it's a post by Saturday, I wouldn't believe it. Mr. Green
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:52 am    

My complaint was with this post. It pretty much stated as fact that Smith's was losing the contract, and went on to further imply that ferry service to Anegada had been unreliable due to breakdowns.

The wording of that post is that Smith's is "losing" the contract. No, they are not losing it - it is simply ending per the scheduled end date of the original contract. It is possible that Smith's may be the successful bidder for the new contract.

Anything about the Ashamoto picking up the service is pure speculation. It could happen, but until the new contract has been awarded, no one knows.

Also, in saying that the Bomba Charger had breakdowns, the post implied that ferry service to Anegada is unreliable. This is simply not the case. The Bomba Charger is not the "current" ferry - it is simply one in a rotation of five ferries that makes the run. If the scheduled boat breaks down, they send another one. it may be late, but it does run. The only thing that prevents a ferry run is weather.

The ferry rotation seems to be purely a roll of the dice. The same boat may indeed do the run for a few days in a row, but that's just the way the dice happen to be falling.

The mere fact that the post was made by "Saint Hartzmann" makes whatever is in it true to many of the sheep.
Quote:
If you get stranded on Anegada on your departure day, you're outta luck. No other way off the island.

The way I read his post, with that closing statement, it gave me the impression that he was saying that depending on a ferry to or from Anegada is risky, when in fact it is not.

Another point: The "no other way off the island" is also wrong. All you have to do is pick up the phone and call Fly BVI or Island Birds.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:50 pm    

I was also referring to the post you referenced. I guess y'all are arguing semantics regarding the Ferry contract. Taking bids means new contract...for somebody. I prefer not to deal in rumor and speculation (our 24 hour new "cycles" have reinforced this for me), but to my way of reading it Bill, when he started the post with "Depending on who you talk to", was passing along speculation of the locals, not his own. Maybe rightfully assuming they might have the inside track on Anegada related rumor.

I fully understand the "island time" thing. However, for a lot of folks late=unreliable. You and Bill both mentioned that tight schedules should be avoided (I'm paraphrasing). That's really what folks should take from the post. I agree the "no way off the island" bit was somewhat alarmist...maybe a direct, informed response to that statement would have been more helpful than which particular ferries are the current ferry. I suspect most people don't really care which boat they are on as long as it's reliable. Wink

Jeff
mikkel
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:02 pm    

Is there any update on this? I went to the "official" government site, hoping to be able to find RFPs but most of it times out. I should have known better.

http://www.bvi.gov.vg/

When does (or did) the bid process end, when are (or were) bids due and when will the decision be made?

It would be interesting to see the RFP. On the subject of Bill, I think he was forwarding information he received from what he thought was a credible source. Some of his other opinions or observations were just that. He is still a much better poster than he was a moderator.
CaWino
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:45 am    

I tend to agree with Walker. It seemed to be someone showing off that they had info before anyone else, with a little bit of Chicken Little thrown in. I know it is all subjective in how we all interpret this info, however I got the inference that if you got on the Bomba Charger, it was 50\50 whether it would get you to your destination. Just my take on it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Ferries All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use