BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Finding some Lobster

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Note Finding some Lobster

I was on a sailing charter for a week last month (April 2, 2009) USVI/BVI and I was excited to do some freedive snorkeling to get some spiny lobsters on my trip. Well, after spending hours upon hours looking under every rock and crevasse I could see, I came up empty! So many spots looked promising but no lobsters (except 1 Spanish Slipper Lobster that was right out in the open - too bad for him!).
So it made me think that there may be a certain season when they arrive. Anyone out there know more information about this? My next charter trip I'd like to plan it so that the lobsters are more plentiful. Thanks.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:09 pm    

I was there at the same time (BVI's)

Please remeber that you cannot take lobster in the BVI's even with a fishing permit!

The USVI's allow 2 per person per day caught by hand or snare only I think but do check the laws before taking any from the water!!
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:44 pm    

Lobsters are pretty cagey. I think they lay low during daylight hours and do most of their stuff after dark. It is a good question why you so rarely see them in the BVI but kinda understandable given that everybody and their grannny is hunting them down for supper these days. I have seen them on reefs in Cuba and the DR (but not often) but never seen one yet in the BVI.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:14 pm    

I have a good friend (a licensed Anegada lobster fisherman) that snorkels off the beach right here at Cow Wreck with a bag and comes ashore on Walkover Set Point (about half a mile to the west) with that bag full of lobster - consistently - in the middle of the day.

There might be some skill involved...
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:22 am    

Not only are they cagey, those suckers are fast when in the open. I did meet a fellow a couple of times on Anegada around Flash of Beauty where he and his buddy snorkel and they always had a bag of lobster and an occasional crab. The guy told me he drops his friend southeast of Loblolly (forgot exactly where, but quite a distance I recall) and drifts/snorkels along the reef towards Loblolly. His buddy snorkels and he picks him up. They use snares and the lobsters hide pretty much in the cracks and crevices of the reef.
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 am    

Walker wrote:
I have a good friend (a licensed Anegada lobster fisherman) that snorkels off the beach right here at Cow Wreck with a bag and comes ashore on Walkover Set Point (about half a mile to the west) with that bag full of lobster - consistently - in the middle of the day.

There might be some skill involved...

...and a big long pointy stick! Very Happy

It would be fun to go snorkelling with somebody that does know how to find and catch lobster sometime just to see how it's done. Gotta be lots of tricks to that trade.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:25 pm    

Nope - no stick. Entirely bare handed. For real - I have watched him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use