BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Pictures from January trip to Anegada
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:30 pm    

SailNaked wrote:
It is possible to protect your photos on a web site by setting the right click or for that matter all clicks to just post a copyright instead of allowing download.

That affords very little protection. All it does is disable the right-click menu. If I want to download the image, all I have to do is look at the page source and find the url to the image, then directly download the url.

I can also just do a screen capture and paste the image into an editor, then crop down to the image.

More than one way to skin the cat.

The Pyzaz tool that I use to create my web albums watermarks all of the images that I post - but that does not really do much, either, since the watermarks can be cropped off.

Bottom line is that if someone wants an image on your website, there is nothing that you can do to prevent it from being stolen. In the past, I even had links to the original full-size hi-res copy of all of my images. I removed all of those a couple of months ago.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 pm    

It is not impossible, I am a pretty good hacker and I have been refused things before. Agreed that if you want it bad enough you can get it, however you can limit the availablility a lot by refusing them access to the source via rt click and hiding the path. I have even seen photos loaded into a database server to protect them. as far as screen shots you will never be able to stop that however the quality is not so good and it is a fixed size. Just depends on the effort you want to go to.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 pm    

Another easy technique is to simply click the "Save As" under the browser file menu. That grabs everything on the page and stores it.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 pm    

Preventing right-clicks only works if the client software respects the page's instructions. For example, Firefox will still pop up the context menu (what comes up when you right click) on many supposedly "protected" pictures I've come across. Plus there are many screen-capture utilities that would get around even the most aggressive means of protection. If you really don't want someone to get away with stealing your images, you pretty much have to watermark em.
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:54 pm    

cpMike wrote:
Preventing right-clicks only works if the client software respects the page's instructions. For example, Firefox will still pop up the context menu (what comes up when you right click) on many supposedly "protected" pictures I've come across. Plus there are many screen-capture utilities that would get around even the most aggressive means of protection. If you really don't want someone to get away with stealing your images, you pretty much have to watermark em.

Hell with all of that, just kick em in the balls, that usually stops anybody from doing anything, plus its alot more fun to watch em trying to breathe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use