BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Brita Filters on a Boat?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Note Brita Filters on a Boat?

A member of my upcoming crew has asked about bringing a Brita filter and pitcher to help offset the need to buy as much bottled water. Has anybody used a Brita on a boat? Does it remove the nasty taste most commonly experienced with drinking boat tap water?

Personally I still like the bottled water idea, as it keeps more water for general use. And if it's not easy for people to get their water they're probably going to get dehydrated easier. But I think it's an interesting proposal nonetheless; does anybody out there have any experience with this issue?
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:03 am    

I have not used the Brita filter. If you are experiencing a nasty taste drinking water from the boats holding tank, I would venture to guess that the holding tank hasn't been sanitized in a while, and at this point it should be (although one shouldn't wait for a nasty taste to do this. If the charter boat sits for a while with water in the tank, who knows what's growing in there. I don't even want to think about what's probably in the lines. I do not have a lot of faith these tanks are properly maintained, but then I again I have not heard of anybody here complain of illness due to water consumption on the boat. On a maintenance note,, I'll go back to Randy's most recent charter experience with the clogged fuel filters. When was the lasted time the fuel was polished in that dang boat? Probably the same time the water tanks were propery sanitized (never I would guess).

That being said, I'm with you regarding bottled water. We use the boat water for showers and dishes only. Rum is used to brush the teeth. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use