BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
JPG to PDF

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Note JPG to PDF

I have only just found this utility so have not really tried it that much.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/i2pdf-10-freeware-tool-convert-scanned-images-pdf-documents.htm
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:57 am    

Cool. What would be a use for this?
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:45 am    

I am thinking of using it to generate PDF's to include in our product catalogue instead of JPEGS. In theory PDF files should be smaller but of the same quality as larger Jpegs....

...or at least that was the thery behind PDF's when Adobe invented them for the printing industry in the late 90's. I saw a demo of two monster IBM printers at XPLOR conference back then where one was printing a book using PDF and the other was using traditional methods. The PDF printer was able to obtain a much higher throughput because the PDF files could be processed much faster with no loss in quality.

I guess PDF's could also be used when you want to post your pictures and you want to minimize others being able to steal them & change them. Everyone can download and change a JPEG but unless you have PDF s/w the average Joe cannot change a PDF.
Link to this postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:10 pm    

Interesting. One problem that I see with PDF's from a viewer's standpoint is that it is very hard to get a sharp 1-to-1 pixel mapping of images within a PDF (at least the ones I've seen). Meaning, the software always seems to do some sort of interpolation, and the quality of said interpolation is not very good with raster images.

I do have the full version of Adobe Acrobat but I haven't really dived into its features; I usually just "print" from Word into PDF. Maybe there's some way to prevent this distortion that I am complaining about?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:28 am    

cpMike wrote:
Interesting. One problem that I see with PDF's from a viewer's standpoint is that it is very hard to get a sharp 1-to-1 pixel mapping of images within a PDF (at least the ones I've seen). Meaning, the software always seems to do some sort of interpolation, and the quality of said interpolation is not very good with raster images.

I do have the full version of Adobe Acrobat but I haven't really dived into its features; I usually just "print" from Word into PDF. Maybe there's some way to prevent this distortion that I am complaining about?

That is the loss of quality that I was referring to. When images are converted to pdf it seems that the resizing really does a poor job.
Scripty
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 am    

Does it work with Mac?
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:29 am    

Scripty wrote:
Does it work with Mac?

There probably is a Mac version out there somewhere ...but you'ld have to pay 2x the price. Cool

I remember my first Mac...big square clunky thing. It had a 20 meg hard drive and we were all commenting "who could ever need more than 20 megs?" rofl
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:52 pm    

You have to be pretty specific about settings when making pdf's especially if pictures are involved. The default print settings in Acrobat will reduce bitmap resolution which will look alright on a monitor but will look like crap if printed. If you go into your print properties when printing you'll see a tab for Adobe PDF Settings. Click that tab and you'll see a bunch of options one of which is "default settings". Click in tha box and a whole bunch of print quality pre-sets will show up. If you use "high quality print" or "press quality print" you'll get a much better quality pdf with picts that will print very well. You can tweek the settings even further and you can get it to a point where there is no image loss in picts but you won't be saving much memory.

I work in the printing biz and I can't really see the benefit of converting individual jpgs into pdf's just for the fun of it. I spend a lot more time converting pdfs to jpg or tiff files so I can edit them not the other way around. The only time I convert jpgs to a pdf is to make pdf photo album by batch printing picts I select in Windows Explorer and then printing them to pdf using the Windows pict printing wizard. It's a quick and easy way to make a photo album and a good way to share them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use