BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Favorite USVI Anchorages

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> U.S. Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Note Favorite USVI Anchorages

I thought I'd list a few of our favorite USVI anchorages, and I'd love to hear from others on some of theirs...

#1) Christmas Cove, Great St. James, STT - Located at Current Cut between STT and STJ, this is a small anchorage with a small Cay, Fish Cay, in the middle. Anchor on either side of the Cay in 15-20 feet of water. The south side of the Cay is nice for snorkeling and there's a good chance you'll see rays, porpoise, and turtles, and maybe even get to snorkel with them. This is a great 'last night' stop on the way back to CA/STT, or even charters out of Red Hook, STT.

#2) Honeymoon Bay, Water Island, STT. Located just outside of CA, this is another good last-day stop prior to returning the charter boat to CA/STT. It's well protected, and access to Crown Bay Marina (diesel) is easy from here. There is often a small band playing beach music on the weekends near the pavilion and 'casual food' and drinks are typically available beachside. The beach is calm and typically waveless, good for young kids.

#3) Cinnamon Bay, STJ - This is a good first night stop on a charter from CA if you're headed to Jost or points east the next day. Our MO is to stop by Trunk Bay for a quick snorkel and then pick up a ball in Cinnamon for the evening. You can pay for the ball ashore. There's good snorkeling around Cinnamon Cay. Cinnamon is much less rolly than grabbing a ball for the night at Caneel Bay.

#4) Leinster Bay, STJ - This is a pretty spot and there is good snorkeling to be had around Waterlemon Cay and Leinster Point to the north. Just watch the currents. Anchor in 20-feet of water. It's well protected and another good jumping off point when headed to the BVI. This bay is more secluded than Francis Bay, and much smaller.

#5) Caneel Bay, STJ - Caneel is a means to an end. It is best used as a short-stop location to clear customs after returning from the BVI.... grab a ball in western Caneel and dingy south around the point into Cruz. Don't even think about taking a taxi from the Caneel resort to Cruz. Expensive both ways, you can't leave your dingy at the resort dock, and you will be treated not-unlike a criminal by the resort security staff. Yachties are not really welcome there. Once in Cruz, tie up your dink at the dingy docks located on either side of the Ferry dock and then hoof it directly to C&I without stopping for a painkiller - plenty of time for that after... Smile You can even pay for your moorings in advance at the park service building at the north end of Cruz Bay. One stop for all your cruising needs! You might want to bring a waterproof dive bag for the dingy ride back to
Caneel, particularly if you buy some treasures at the many shops there. Mongoose Junction on the north side of Cruz will give your shopaholics a good fix.

A couple of acronyms...
CA = Charlotte Amalie
STT = St. Thomas
STJ = St. John
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:35 pm    

Update. I understand that there's now a mooring field in Leinster Bay for your cruising pleasure!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Note Re: Favorite USVI Anchorages

Twanger wrote:
CA = Charlotte Amalie

Or Cyanoacrylate
Or California

And who gives a shit about Charlotte Amalie anyway? DILLIGAS?
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:48 pm    

Jeeze Walker, did somebody butter your bread on the bottom side? rofl
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:54 pm    

Twanger wrote:
Jeeze Walker, did somebody butter your bread on the bottom side? rofl

He's just gettin old and cranky.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:55 pm    

OK, I caved.

CA
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:00 pm    

There's also Cocaine Anonymous... confused

http://www.ca.org/
Scripty
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:40 am    

CA = Canada

EH?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 am    

Scripty wrote:
CA = Canada

EH?

Doh!

CA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> U.S. Virgin Islands All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use