BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
JVD

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Note JVD

Here is a new topic. What is your favorite JVD overnight anchorage (not day stop)? I have moored at Diamond Cay which was slightly unprotected and White Bay in the right (East) corner behind the reef. I have kept away from Little Harbour because I heard it has no breeze and bugs at night and Great Harbour because of complaints of poor holding.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:53 pm    

Little Harbor has always been OK with us - but we have only overnighted there when there was decent breeze.

We have anchored many times in Great Harbor. I suspect that, like most others, we have our "secret" spot in GH for anchoring. Not much of a secret, I suppose - we anchor near the southeast end of the harbor, generally outside most everyone else. There is a spot there that we identify by a large rock ashore that is white from birdshit, and we anchor off it in about 15 feet of water. The holding has always been easy and good there, and the breeze is better than deeper into the anchorage.

This is a photo that I took some years back. We are on our spot - the catamaran at the left side. You can tell that this some years ago because we are the only cat in the anchorage!

Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:29 pm    

Hey!!!!! You took my spot Walker! hairy

That's exactly where we anchor too. My reasoning is that we're upwind of everyone else... no chance of someone dragging down on me, and I've seen more than one boat drag in GH... usually some credit card sailor that drops a pile of chain in the middle of the harbor in 40 feet of water and then starts the blender. devil Rolling Eyes

My favorite anchorage is in the lee of Sandy Spit... just make sure the weather is going to be settled.
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:06 pm    

Great info. I was thinking the same thing as Twanger on the advantage of staying high of the dragging fleet when I saw the picture.
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Note JVD

Hi

Thought Iíd ask this question here about JVD as way of avoiding the advertisements and snide comments on TTOL. The second leg of a land based trip this year was pointed toward getting a cabin at Ivanís on White Bay. (Couldnít get what we wanted at Cinnamon Bay, even though we tried to reserve on departing there last year.)

The problem is getting any information via E-Mail. After a couple of tries, Darlene finally answered that there was no problem in getting a cabin - except that we gave her the wrong dates. Hey, if they have no problem in March, there should be no problem in May! A correcting e-Mail asking about the mechanism has gotten no response.

Itís possible that you just show up and hope for the best and pay when you get there (or when you leave). Maybe like the fabled bar tab! Absent any real info - we may have to give up and move on to the next. No problems with Cane Garden Bay or Guavaberry. What to do - look for an alternative on JVD? ĎTiz a puzzlement.

Of course, doing anything by E-Mail in the ilons is always a problem. Thanks in advance for any advice. thanks

Peace
Dugg and Chris
http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/
Promise to get the Ď05 thru Ď08 pictures up soon (finally a few digital camera pictures instead of scanned slides).
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Note Little Harbor

Spent the night there in late February and found it to be a great spot. Plenty of mooring balls and several choices for dinner. Had our best meal and best time at Sidney's with Cynthia who was fantastic.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:21 pm    

The informalities of reservations in the BVI is amazing. My confirmation from Rose at Columbus' was
"OK see you when you arrive" no mention of dates! Do they have a fax #? Send them a note. I find most of the places(smaller ones) prefer phone/fax over e mail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use