BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Agriculture

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Note Agriculture

With all the meals prepared on Anegada, I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to to grow local fruits and vegetables? Does everything have to come over from Tortola?
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:52 pm    

I know they raise some really lean beef!!! rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
Scripty
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 pm    

Tortola? They don't grow anything either, do they?

I was commenting on that when I was there... all that mountain land, some could surely be terraced for farming?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:05 pm    

Aside from the very lean beef, there is some local agriculture.

The BVI Agriculture Department has a station that raises tomatoes, melons, and other occasional fruits and vegetables. The station is in the prominent palm grove on the west end of the island near Cow Wreck Beach.

Dotsy's daughter has an egg farm. Her eggs (very nice brown eggs) are available from Dotsy's Bakery.

There are a few other people that grow fruits and vegetables, but rarely enough to have any available for sale.
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:14 pm    

Scripty wrote:
Tortola? They don't grow anything either, do they?

I was commenting on that when I was there... all that mountain land, some could surely be terraced for farming?

I meant Riteway or some other store by Tortola. However, I have seen some small gardens in Tortola. I am not a organic farmer or anything, just curious about the local economics.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:21 pm    

The BVI has been trying to stir interest in farming/agriculture again, but the majority of the young people there realize they need to pluck a lot of chickens to buy an iPod. I remember when you saw a lot of farming going on and a lot of livestock. Not anymore. Foxy does a fair amount of gardening which probably borders on "farming" on JVD. With the cost of land in the BVI, farming is on a definitely downward spiral. Real shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use