BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Keel Depth?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Note Keel Depth?

Most of the boats here on the West Coast have deep keels while most of the charter boats in the BVI have the shoal keel. Is the shoal keel really needed in the Carribbean?
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:45 am    

Hmm, well define "really needed". As I recall, the difference between the shoal keel and deep keel version of some boats I've seen at boat shows can be 3 feet. A 6' draft is very workable with many Caribbean harbors, but 9'? I'm not as sure. I don't know enough to say what the cutoff is between "yes this is a depth that will work most places" and "no this isn't". However, given the reports of yahoos hitting the reef at White Bay, I'm sure all the charter companies care about is having boats that stick down as little as possible.
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:31 pm    

So it might be safe to say that the shoal keel format is needed in the Carribbean for charter boats, but for a private boat in the Carribbean the deeper keel is not a deal breaker? OOOps I should qualify that by stating my case for a 45 top 50 boat. That might put the max keel at around 7-8 feet?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:40 pm    

teammac wrote:
So it might be safe to say that the shoal keel format is needed in the Carribbean for charter boats, but for a private boat in the Carribbean the deeper keel is not a deal breaker?

Exactly so. Charterers are going to do some dumb shit - best to at least keep them from being grounded. Things can go downhill quickly from that point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use