BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Three Palms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Island Grog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:46 am    

We enjoyed seeing the distillery and buying a couple of bottles of rum was a nice souvenir of CGB. We bought some of the spiced stuff also and the plan is to keep it for xmas time. Be surprised if it survives that long though. Wink

I'll have to keep my eye's open for that 3 Palms stuff up here, it sounds tasty.
rlsmith54
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 pm    

Did you happen to see these guys Site? http://whyistherumgone.com/rum/three-palms/ This is Captaintremens from the thread. Our kind of peeps !!!

Randy
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:31 am    

I had a gander at that site. Good reading there for sure if you like rum and I do. Looks like 3 Palms is from Barbados and my neighbours have relatives there and visit fairly often so I'll see if they can get me a bottle.

If you're looking for good rum try some of this if you get a chance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana_Club

It's available up here and a bunch of other countries and they say maybe the US fairly soon also but not yet. crazy
rlsmith54
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:14 am    

Is it available in PR or the Virgins?
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:44 am    

Wouldn't be surprised if it was in the BVI's but I think Bacardi is PR based and I can't see them wanting Cuban rum "infringing" on their home turf in PR or the USVI's but who knows. Bacardi named one of their rums "Havana Club" but it's not the same rum and Pernod (Cuba's rum distributing partner) is suing them for infringement on their name.

http://www.havana-club.com/
rlsmith54
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:54 am    

Yeah, I read that...Now why would Bacardi do something like that, and not expect to get their asses sued???
mikonop
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Note Rum

Did somebody say RUM!!!
click here

://www.ministryofrum.com/index.php

mike
fuplayer
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:35 pm    

rlsmith54 wrote:
Yeah, I read that...Now why would Bacardi do something like that, and not expect to get their asses sued???
Apparently Bacardi thought they had bought the rights to the Havana Club name from the original owners. It's somewhat ironic though that the Bacardi rum and the family originated in Cuba. They set up a plant in PR after prohibition so they could sell to the US market duty free, not a bad business move at all. Very Happy
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:32 pm    

Anyone know who makes Myett's rum? I was wondering if it was Callwood's also.
rlsmith54
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:51 pm    

According the www.b-v-i.com the Myett's Delight is made with Callwood's Rum. Could be that Callwood's labels for them. I bought some Callwood Spiced Rum and it was just okaystraight but does better with a mixer.

Now According to Walker, the Calwood/Arundel Rums are charcoal lighter ! yikes I would trust him on this one.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:32 pm    

fuplayer wrote:
rlsmith54 wrote:
Apparently Bacardi thought they had bought the rights to the Havana Club name from the original owners. It's somewhat ironic though that the Bacardi rum and the family originated in Cuba. They set up a plant in PR after prohibition so they could sell to the US market duty free, not a bad business move at all. Very Happy

Bacardi gets away with using the name due to Section 211 of the FY 1999 Omnibus Appropriations Act. Basically it "prohibits the U.S. from honoring trademarks of Cuban origin that were used in connection with businesses that were nationalized by the Cuban government in the early 1960s". Bacardi claims that Havana Club uses former Bacardi assets that were nationalized by Cuba in 19060. So no US court will rule in favor of Pernod Ricard. From what I've read around the internet Pernod Ricard is instead taking their complaint to the WTO claiming Section 211 contravenes international trade law.

Mike pointed to ministryofrum.com, and I highly recommend their reviews and they've got a great forum for information and discussion of all sorts of rums. They also host a number of rum events throughout the year in various parts of the U.S.

~Gray
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:01 pm    

All sounds kind of crazy but it must be a good recipe if they're scrapping over it. I know the 7 year old Cuban version is pretty damn tasty that's for sure. Wish I had known about Bacardi's version as I could have picked up a bottle in St. Thomas. Don't think they sell it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Island Grog All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use