BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Rod Holder Question for the Fishermen(Women)

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Note Rod Holder Question for the Fishermen(Women)

The first thing to go is your memory....I can't remember the second thing...

On our last trip, we were on Imiloa, a Voyage 440. She did not have any rod holders and I knew this before we went down. I guessed the diamter of the rails on which we moutned the holders, and I happened to guess correctly. The problem is I can't rememebr what size they were and we are on Imiloa again in April.

Calling the Voyage office in Soper's Hole won't be much of a help....I tried that last time and that's why I had to guess.

I know Saildoggie has chartered with Voyage and he trolls while underway, so maybe he can help or somebody else? Does anyone know what size rails they have on the Voyage 440? The rod holder clamps come in two sizes: 7/8" -1" and 1 1/4" - 1 1/2".

By the way....the holders are plastic as well as the clamps....the holders are removed at the end of the trip and no hardware dis amaged in any way....

What say ye? Can anyone help? Thaks much......

Chuck
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:12 am    

Heya Chuck!

Dream Cat has rod holders already in place.

Before you go and buy some rod holders, simply check your stock of spare PVC pipe you have laying around, see if any fit yoour rod butts.

OK, I got creative and fabbed a couple up using PVC pipe and idustrial strength sticky back Velcro, they look like this:

Installed in Sailpuppy's bowling bag handle:

I stuck the "hook" velcro to the PVC pipe and then have a combination of hook and fluff velcro where the straps overlap:

They work great on and stanchion and install in a snap. I do back the velcro up with a couple of heavy zip ties.

You can use zip ties only, I suggest you drill some joles in the pipe if doing this and run the ties thru the holes to pervent the holder from slipping out.

A lanyard with a clip is always a good idea as a safety line, I use one long enough that it can be left attached especially in case one of the kids is manning the rig with a fish on!!

I also like using just a webbing strap with hooks on each end to simply attach the reel to the stanchion and let the tip point straight back toward the trolling line.

Simple line and snap hooks set up: On S/V Sanctuary:
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:03 pm    

Perfect solution! Thanks for the help Mark. Even someone as mechanically challenged as me can handle that. Thanks much for the detailed photos too. I owe you a Carib.

Chuck
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 pm    

No worries Chuck, what boat do you have and when ?\

We have One Love June 27 for 10 days!!
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:54 pm    

We are on Imiloa; April 4-11. We arrive on the 2nd and are staying at the Voyage Charter Inn at Soper's Hole before we board. And on the backside we stay there again on the 11th & 12th.

Aren't you headed down there tomorrow?

Chuck
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:01 pm    

My April dates are the SAME!

We will be hopping aboard S/V Sanctuary at the Voyage fuel dock the same day!

We arrive the afternoon of the 3rd. and will stay someplace close, either at the Jolly Roger or possibly aboard sanctuary depending upon when Tom gets off to fly home.

How cool is that??

We can certainly hook up and have a few cold ones!!
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:12 pm    

Christ....I better get my rum & beer supply delivered BEFORE you get there!

We'll look for you at Pussers or the Jolly Roger. I think we're doing dinner at Banakeet Cafe on Friday the 3rd as Reuben Chinnery is playing there that night. Make sure you wear your drinking shoes....

Chuck
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:31 pm    

Sounds like a plan!!

Drinking shoes??
I think I need some heavy ones for ballast, gravity storms have been known to take me me out hard!

Bananakeet would be awesome, may be a great plan, have to see what Gravey is up to!

Sent you a PM, look up top on the left of your screen!!
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:03 pm    

Damn moderator must be asleep at the wheel....why hasn't this thread been moved to the Fishing forum?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:15 pm    

Damn moderator is MUI.

Moderating Under the Influence.

Got a problem with that?

Thanks for the heads-up, though - thread moved.
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:38 am    

For crying out loud....damn moderators here are so uptight. You post one thread in the wrong damn forum and they are all over you........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use