BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Sunsail 423

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmacken
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Note Sunsail 423

Can anyone tell me about the 423? Any quirks? Any pros or cons. How about tips for sailing it well. We will be in the ilons Jan. 11 thru 18.
Thanks,
Bill
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Note Re: Sunsail 423

Will be chartering this boat from Sunsail in just under a week. Do you have any feedback from your experience?

- Dave
tothedogs
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:52 am    

We had a 423 from Sunsail a few years ago with a total of 4 people aboard and enjoyed it. Aside from the usual charter boat minor issues, it was comfortable and sailed well with good balance. We routinely were making 7+ knots in 10-15 kt winds on a close to beam reach and it pointed reasonably well. To my recollection, it tended to get overpowered pretty easily and build some weather helm. As always, reef sooner rather than later. The one we had had a gps/chartplotter, I do not remember which charts it used, but on the approach to Anegada it was easily 1/2 mile off in that it had us on the outer buoys when we were well south and they were barely visible in the distance. Walker discusses this elsewhere on this site and I suggest you use his waypoints, chart, and your eyes if you go there. Of the 20 or so monohulls we have chartered this would be in the top 25%.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Have a good trip.

Bob
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:18 am    

If I remember correctly, and Walker could verify this, the outer buoys at Anegada as shown on most charts are not there anymore? So your GPS might be more accurate than you think?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:46 pm    

All of the charts (except mine) have very old info on the Anegada channel. Since chartplotter charts are taken from the out-of-date charts, they are also incorrect.

Your GPS chartplotter was correct - your Lat/Lon was correct within a few feet. However, the map in it has an incorrect representation of where things are.
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 pm    

AH HA....Just as I suspected, thanks Walker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use