BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Aviation data on a 176C

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:  Aviation data on a 176C

Was given a Garmin 176C when my dad got the 276C. I am taking PPL training and would like to be able to use the 176C for situational awareness and airspace information.

Does anyone know if I can use the map data for the 196 on my 176C, understanding that I will not be able to take advantage of the additional aviation features, or is the data protected such that it won't work on a non-aviation model.

Thanks in advance!

Barret
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:17 am    

I have a 196. There is no way to use the aviation database in a non-aviation GPS.

The aviation databases for handheld GPS's are nothing at all like the MapSource products.

The aviation databases contain no land/geographical data. Instead, they contain aviation-specific information:
Airport runway data
VOR, NDB, intersection locations
COMM and NAV frequencies
Instrument approaches
Special Use Airspace boundaries

The land map info is in the 196 basemap, plus whatever MapSource data that you happen to add to the 196. Other than the 196 basemap, any other map data which you can install in the 196 will work in a 176.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use