BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Fly fisherman in need of suggestions on BVI trolling.

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject:  Fly fisherman in need of suggestions on BVI trolling.

I'm a trout and freshwater steelhead fly fishing guy that knows little to nothing about salt water fishing. I am looking for help/suggestions on what kind of lures or bait to use in mid January while trolling behind a sailboat from Virgin Gorda to Anegada. And then from Anegada to Jost Van Dyke.
Also a suggestion on line weight and rigging would be extreamly helpful too.
BTW, I'm just taking along one spinning rod and one, maybe two sacrificial non salt water spinning reels. (I'll wash them off in fresh water and hope for the best.)
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:32 pm    

The honest answer is that a spinning rod is probably not going to be sufficient for trolling while sailing. You really need something that carries 300 or more yards of at least 30# line (I recommend 40# or heavier). Otherwise, should you hook up, you are just going to get spooled and broken off before you can slow the boat enough to play the fish. Anything that you hook while trolling is likely to be over 10 pounds, and 30 or 40 pounds or larger is easily possible. A fish this size is more than a freshwater spinning reel can deal with from a boat that is moving at 6 or 7 knots. For that matter, a hookup with a piece of sargassum weed (very likely to happen) will be more than a spinning rod can deal with under sail.

The proper trolling bait is either a rigged ballyhoo or a large plug. Again - either of these is probably more than a spinning rod can deal with.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:17 am    

I am glad I asked or I would have ended up with a broken rig and or no line left. Salt water trolling is off my agenda for this trip.
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:41 am    

Thanks Walker - I'll pickup some rigged ballyhoo for trolling.

Drew
andrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:34 am    

Check out Scott and Wendy Bannerot's excellent "The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing" for some alternatives to trolling with rod and reel. Y'all have fun!
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:20 pm    

andrew wrote:
Check out Scott and Wendy Bannerot's excellent "The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing" for some alternatives to trolling with rod and reel. Y'all have fun!

Amazonn'ed it.

thanks,

Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use