BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Lifejacket Equipment

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:  Lifejacket Equipment

We are bareboating at the end of June w/ our Toddler (with life jacket and netting). We sail with our inflatable life vests on just in case he goes overboard. However, we cannot bring our life vests since the wonderful US Govt does not allow CO2 cartridges to be carried on or checked in baggage. In addition, we cannot ship the cartridges since the major shipping companies will not allow them (e.g. FedX). So our last recourse is to either purchase (or rent) CO2 in BVI or purchase new inflatable life jackets in BVI. Can anyone recommend a supplier in Road Town to either buy or rent the above? Thanks in advance.
Link to this postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject:  You can pack CO2 cartridge

I realize your trip is over, but I wanted to clarify, you can pack a self inflating vest with CO2 cartridge.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/regs/rules/final/71fr/71fr-14585.htm

From the referenced link:
(11) A self-inflating life jacket fitted with no more than two
small gas cartridges (containing no hazardous material other than a
Div. 2.2 gas) for inflation purposes plus no more than two spare
cartridges. The lifejacket and spare cartridges may be carried in
carry-on or checked baggage, with the approval of the aircraft
operator.
skip1007
Link to this postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:58 pm    

WE were lucky in June 2006 when there was a window of opportunity to bring our PFD's and gas cylinders to the BVI's, but that window seems to have closed.

Unfortunately, our friends at TSA are the ones who set the regulations for air travel, not DOT. The latest prohibition on compressed gas cylinders, including those in PFD's is outlined in the TSA web site - http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

In this page, they say, -- "Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside."

That makes them not particularaly useful for future use...
Link to this postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject:  TSA website is not always the most accurate.

The following article is consistent with what I found on Delta's website.

http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/article.cfm/flying_with_selfinflating_pfds

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/dangerous_goods/index.jsp

I flew from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale roundtrip in May 2007 with two checked bags each holding one jacket, with CO2 cartridge attached. Both were searched by the TSA (had the pretty sticker on the bag).[/url]
skip1007
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:11 pm    

DPJ,
Thanks for the valuable information. I was told that the TSA had done away with the PFD exemption. I am thankfully surprised and happy that sanity prevailed (at least for now).

Those considering taking their own PFD's, please print out the information so that you have a paper copy to "remind" the TSA folks that the PFD's are OK.

I stand pleasantly corrected!!
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:04 am    

There is a great little boating store, can't remember the name, in road town. Its across the bay from moorings base. I was in there last year and bought spare CO2 to put in our vests. They have a lot of gear in a small store.
D
Mike_H
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:54 pm    

Ask the TSA repersentative to review their own SOP. They will find that CO2 cartridges are allowed in carry on baggage. Two in fact. One in the PFD and a spare. I have seen the SOP myself. Airline employee; the funny looking type that could be confused as a penguin. Some airlines do themselves prohibit the cartridges but not TSA. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use