BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Painkiller Cake #2

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> The Galley -> Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject:  Painkiller Cake #2

Click here for Walker's original recipe for an island version of the southwestern tres leches cake. This cake has no leche, but it does have mucho ron! The pineapple, coconut, rum and orange flavors combine to create a painkiller cake. This will be one of the best rum cakes that you have ever had
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:59 pm    

Our first attempt did not go all that well, but we were happy to eat it anyway.

The second attempt turned out MUCH better.

1. Warming the Coco Lopez before use helps a lot. (room temps here are in the 60's)

2. Adding the topping while the cake was still a bit warm seemed to help.

3. My biggest problem with the first try and somewhat of a problem on the second try was getting the topping to soak in without running down the sides. This time I slowly spooned on the topping and spread it around with the spoon. This took quite a bit of time, but the end result was worth it. Toward the end, it wasn't soaking in much, so I resorted to taking out core samples with a 1/8 inch diameter plastic straw to create drain holes.

I don't like coconut flakes much, so I substuted 3/4 cup of fresh coconut that I ground in the blender. I also shaved some fresh coconut on top at the end.

I baked for 34 minutes in a glass pan. The top was a bit too brown. Next time, I'm going to try a slightly lower baking temp. (maybe 340)

I will report back after our next iteration.

BVI Ken
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:05 pm    

klevitt wrote:
My biggest problem with the first try and somewhat of a problem on the second try was getting the topping to soak in without running down the sides.

Leave the cake in the pan while you add the topping. Some may run down the sides, but the pan constrains it enough that you do not lose it.

You can remove the cake from the pan the cake has soaked up the topping. However, we usually just leave it in the pan, and cover it with saran wrap to keep it in the refrigerator.
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:25 am    

Walker wrote:
Leave the cake in the pan while you add the topping. Some may run down the sides, but the pan constrains it enough that you do not lose it.

We did that, but on the first one, so much ran down the sides that it stayed at the edges and didn't get to parts of the cake. On the second try, I got the topping evenly distributed into all of the cake.

Walker wrote:
You can remove the cake from the pan the cake has soaked up the topping. However, we usually just leave it in the pan, and cover it with saran wrap to keep it in the refrigerator.

Did leave it in pan, and used plastic wrap. Saw no need to refrigerate. It took us about 5 days to finish it, and the ageing only made it better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> The Galley -> Recipes All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use