BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Getting to Tortola

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Note Getting to Tortola

For this cruise,(end of January) I decided to fly into STT because it is nearly $400 cheaper than Tortola. I am looking for suggestions for the ferry. We are getting in in plenty of time to make the ferry over. Is it a taxi trip from the airport to the ferry? What ferry should we use? Sailing with BVI yacht Charters. How early should we get back to base to make the ferry,customs, late afternoon flight.
thanks in advance. D
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:19 am    

Rule #1 for choosing ferry: First one that is leaving!! Figure 10-15 minute taxi ride to ferry dock. I usually grab one of Smith Ferry boats to West End, but if I'm early, as long as it floats, I'm on it.
Where is your charter base located? No sense going to WE if RoadTown is closer to base, taxi's ain't cheap. Heading back, give yourself some time, never know what may happen. I usually take a 2:30 flight out of STT to EWR, if it is just the two of us, I'l push my luck and take the 12/1230(depends on their mood that day) and make CA between 12:50-1:20 Head straight to airport, check in , security and right on the plane. Depending on the day of week, can be LOOONG lines,so when I travel with the entire family, we take the 10/1030 to leave plenty of time.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:45 am    

Thanks for the information,
We are taking the Morning flight from EWR-STT in at 2:10 PM
Need to get to Joma Marina, in Road Town.
Flying out at 3:03 STT-EWR
Going to be down January 20th-28th
Have been down the last 3 years for a January cruise.
Going to North sound day one, Anagada day 2-3, maybe 4. Then back down the chain.
Man I can't wait, Have 4 inches of snow on the ground here in VT.
D
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:57 am    

Sounds like you are on the Continental flight I usually take. Sit in the back of the plane as they unload from both front and rear doors. I would suggest the Tortola Fast Ferry to RoadTown. Hang onto your bags when you arrive at the ferry dock, they'll try to take them for you. Go to the counter on the extreme right hand side, that is the Fast Ferry, although they all like to call themselves that. No sense going to WE, go on to RoadTown. Looks like a 4:15 to RoadTown schedule here: http://www.tortolafastferry.com/schedule.html

You might also want to look into getting a BVIPirate Burgee to fly from your boat.
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:25 pm    

taxi from stt airport to 'down town ferry' should be $10 a person maybe try and get you for a 'bag fee' of a couple bucks.

make sure you dont get a cab to red hook, its on the other side of the island and less ferry options to RT. One was actually closed "until further notice".

I would highly recommend getting a one way ticket. That way you can that what ever ferry you want on the way home.

Charlotte Amalie (down town STT) to Road Town is like $30/pp one way.

Cab from RT to your dock will be at least another 10-15/pp

I could recommend a phone call to the ferry company the night before to confirm the schedule on the way home if it is an option. Sunsail was happy to do this for me, even made sure a cab was waiting for us in the AM.

If you get to STT early, you can leave your bags with the cab company in a locked room and they will bring you downtown, its a 5 min cab ride, for lunch and shopping before your flight.

This was our plan, but our ferry was late, which made us arrive STT at the exact moment as the other ferry, which meant customs was a cluster *(@&@!! and we headed right to the airport.

you'll spend close to 50-60 bucks per-person to get from STT to RT, then to the harbor and another 50-60 on the way home.

Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use