BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
GPS relative virgin (I know you either are or your not)

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Note GPS relative virgin (I know you either are or your not)

hey all
I need a bunch of help.
pretty much new to GPS.
Have a new Vista Cx.
I am going to use it on our upcoming trip to the BVI and when sailing in the summer on Lake Champlain.
What should I get for Blue chart.
Then I'm going to need a bunch of help mon how to set everything up.
Thanks in advance.
Darin
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:44 pm    

You need BlueChart Americas, and you will need to unlock two regions. You get one region with the CD, will have to purchase the second one.

The two regions that you will need to unlock are US020 - (St. Lawrence Seaway) and US030 - Southeast Caribbean.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:29 pm    

thank you much
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Note Re: GPS relative virgin (I know you either are or your not)

dbradley wrote:
hey all
I need a bunch of help.
pretty much new to GPS.
Have a new Vista Cx.
I am going to use it on our upcoming trip to the BVI and when sailing in the summer on Lake Champlain.
What should I get for Blue chart.
Then I'm going to need a bunch of help mon how to set everything up.
Thanks in advance.
Darin

Don't feel bad about being a newbie to GPS. I am one too, and have received great help from people here on BVIPirate! They can help with pretty much everything, or if not, can direct you where to get help!
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:29 pm    

So I was given a microSD card for the BVI and seems to be working in the GPS.... I can see that the specific charts are all checked. Walker I know you said that I should turn off (uncheck) some charts.
Is there enough room in this card (128MB) to save your downloaded new points?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:43 pm    

dbradley wrote:
Is there enough room in this card (128MB) to save your downloaded new points?

The waypoints are stored in the GPS's internal memory, not on the data card. The Vista Cx can store 500 waypoints.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:57 am    

thanks Walker,
have everything up and running,
As Iam getting dumped on by 6 inches of snow, I can't wit until next month.
Darin
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:51 pm    

OK, now I just got my CD, Anything I have do do special to load the lake Champlain stuff onto it? Then as I understand it you have to open each new chart for another @$80..I wish I had a racket like that one.
D
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:27 pm    

Install the stuff from the CD. The installation may let you do an unlock. If so, unlock region US020 during the installation. You will need you GPS's serial number to do the unlock. Then start MapSource.

If the installation did not unlock Region US020, do it when you start MapSource.

Select the Americas BlueChart as your chart source in BlueChart and you should be able to see Lake Champlain.

You select the chart segments that you want to download to your GPS, connect your GPS to your PC, then download to the GPS's memory card.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:05 am    

Walker,
thanks a bunch for your help. everything went perfect and I'm all set.
D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use