BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Amatuer Fisherman-Need Help/Advice

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsabert
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject:  Amatuer Fisherman-Need Help/Advice

We have generally trolled and done a little fishing while on anchor.

Never with much luck. We've caught a few barracuda.

Thanks to Warlock/Dave Norman I am now in posession of a Helicopter Rod.

What reel, line and lures should I acquire for our next charter?

Also, advice on trolling and fishiing while anchored would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

George
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:27 am    

Rig the rod with a Penn Senator 113 or 113H 4/0 reel with 30 or 40 pound monofilament.

Best bait for large fish is something like what is commonly called a "cedar plug". You might also try some of the soft plastic artificials.

At anchor, that rod/reel combo is not going to cast wery well. Instead, you just lower the bait into the water and fish around the boat. I would go with some kind of cut bait freelined on a 2/0 to 4/0 hook. Coming up with cut bait might be tricky.
Link to this postPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:44 pm    

I rented a rod/reel/tackle combo from Last-Stop sports - also had them process my fishing license. It was about $50 for the week plus the license

http://www.laststopsports.com/

We trolled off the back of our cat and had pretty good luck - a hard nose, a football tuna, a bonito all landed and eaten, plus a nice mahi-mahi that snapped the line as I was lifting it out of the water (my niece captured half of it in a photo - saving me endless grief). Also had two hits that emptied the reel and snapped the line before I could tighten down the drag.
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:47 am    

Hello,

I'll be heading to the BVI in early December and would love to try some fishing from our sailboat.

I'm trying to decide if I'm better off buying some equipment or renting it. I have some friends on the island who could hang onto the gear for me until my next trip.

If your willing, I could really use some help with these questions:

- What rod, reel, line for light trolling off the back of the sailboat
- What rod, reel, line for fishing from the boat while anchored

- Basic tackle box items for light trolling and anchored fishing. I've read all the posts in the general fishing topic and have picked up the surgical tube lure and walkers Berkley PowerBait Saltwater Swimming Pogy.

I'll price out your suggestions and try and decide if I should buy or rent based on that.

As far as what I'd like to catch... everything and anything. I've had quite a bit of experience growing up on st. thomas with fishing cuda, jack, and king fish but as a kid I did'nt have to worry about equipment! So, I'm open to your recommendations of what would be the most fun for semi-casual fishing.

Most of my crew will not be too intersted in fishing, so I won't be doing any deep sea or far from shore fishing on this trip.

Thanks,

Drew
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:37 am    

ScubaDrew wrote:
- What rod, reel, line for light trolling off the back of the sailboat

You will need a fairly heavy rod and reel for trolling while under sail. I recommend something that carries at least 250 yards of 40# line. The rod needs to be a trolling rod (meaning stiff and strong).

ScubaDrew wrote:
- What rod, reel, line for fishing from the boat while anchored

The choice here is wide open - depending on what type of fishing you want to do. If you are just going to drop bait under the boat, then the same rod that you use for trolling will work. However, if you want to be able to cast any distance, then you need a spinning rod. I would recommend a fairly heavy spinning rod with 15# line.

ScubaDrew wrote:
- Basic tackle box items for light trolling and anchored fishing.

Basics: knife, pliers, weights (1/2 ounce), hooks (size 4/0), swivels, wire leader. If you want to fish for smaller fish, then maybe some size 2 or size 4 hooks.

If you are fishing with a spinning rod, you will need to be able to handle whatever fish you might catch. Trying to lift a fish of any size by the line will likely result in a broken line. That means you will need a net or gaff if you are not comfortable getting down on the water and lifting a fish by hand. I recommend wearing gloves if you do lift by hand.
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:18 pm    

Thanks Walker.

I've been gathering a lot of information on rods and reels - traveling with them is not really an option and while i typically make it to the VI once or twice a year, I'm not certain its worth owning the equipment.

I picked up the soft artificial baits you mentioned in a few posts, some spinners, and some surgical tube lures.

What is the Helicopter Rod gsabert mentioned in his first post?

I'll probably just rent the trolling rod from laststop. Maybe I'll hit up some of my parents friends to see if they have any equipment around.

Thanks again,

Drew
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:54 pm    

The "helicopter rod" is a very short (3 foot) very stiff trolling rod with a detachable handle. With the handle removed it is very small, easily transported.
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 am    

Hey Walker - I liftoff in 2 days!

I've been reading a lot about yellow tail - which I think are pretty safe to eat (ciguatara) -

A few questions:

- chumming: do you chum? If so, what do you use? Where do you get it?
- bait: i picked up some of the artificial stuff you recommended. I'd like to try some live/frozen bait. I heard squid is really good for the yellow tail but richardsons rigging is out of it. What do you use, where can I get squid or other bait?

I'm planning on renting the trolling and spinning/casting rods from laststopactionsports...

Thanks for the help!

Drew
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:54 am    

I do not chum - but I suspect that the areas where I catch yellowtail would be much more productive if I did.

When fishing the reefs, I only use artificial bait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use