BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Anchor Drag Alarm

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject:  Anchor Drag Alarm

I have never used a GPS with an anchor drag alarm, and I don't understand how it could work.

I presume that if your position changes by more than some amount, an alarm goes off.

But it seems to me that with your EPE changing over time with different sats going in and out of view, and with the wind swinging your boat around, you could be on the rocks before the distance was large enough to report as a drag.

Can anyone explain this?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:10 am    

My GPS typically shows under 20 feet of EPE. That's half a boatlength.

I don't use the GPS anchor alarm, but I do occasionally use the GPS at anchor.

When we anchor, I typically let the boat settle in, then mark it's position in mid-swing with a waypoint. I then select that waypoint under the cursor so that the GPS will continuously indicate how far that point is from our current position. I periodically check it. If that point gets further and further away, I know that we are dragging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use