BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
More GPS Help Please!

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Note More GPS Help Please!

Hi again.

I am leaving on Thursday to sail with Jeannius from St. Maarten to Barbados and would love to figure out how to set my GPS to keep track of my route while sailing.

I have a E-trex Legend CX, and still have not had time to figure out how to do all the things that I think it can do.

Is it possible to turn it on, set something, and have it follow which way we went, and then shut it off when we get to an anchorage, and continue again the next day - without using waypoints?

The end result I am looking for is to keep a copy of where we sailed, miles, direction, speed, etc., during our trip to load on my computer at home in MapSource.

Thanks for helping out a GPS challenged gal!

Thanks
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:39 pm    

The eTrex already does that. Look at "Tracks".

You might want to periodically save your current track because the track will wrap around and start to overwrite itself when the current track get full.

You can download the tracks from your GPS to your PC using MapSource. This will download the tracks that you saved along with the current unsaved track.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:30 am    

Walker, thanks for replying.

I wasn't going to bring my laptop this time, so do you think there is enough memory for the unit to hold the saved tacks if i don't download them until I get home? I have a 2GB card in the unit, and a 128 mb I can also bring.

Thanks!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:57 pm    

Oh my gosh yes - you can save all of your tracks easily. They occupy very little memory.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:28 pm    

Great thanks! I'll see how it goes once I get there!
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:50 pm    

DawnB - There are a number of options that determine how long, or how short a time your track memory will last. You can select options that save your position based on how far you've moved, or simply have it save your position every so often in time - say every 5 seconds, 30 seconds, etc. In de' Ilons I set up my GPS to save my position every 0.05 miles. That's 20 per mile, so if you sail 150 miles in a trip that's about 3000 track points - not too bad to manage.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:29 am    

Twanger wrote:
In de' Ilons I set up my GPS to save my position every 0.05 miles. That's 20 per mile, so if you sail 150 miles in a trip that's about 3000 track points - not too bad to manage.

Wow, that sounds like a lot! I do have those options, and right now my card says 1% full, so I guess I have a lot of room!

I set the tracks to save to my data card, 0.05 miles.

Thanks for the help!
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:49 am    

Wow Dawn, have fun!

Stopped by and visited with Mike and Jean on our way to the Ferry last Tuesday.

They are doing well and Jeannius looks great, new bimini, etc. mike has all kinds of new goodies including the watermaker to make your trip very comfortable.

Keep us posted along the way!
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:53 pm    

saildoggie wrote:
Wow Dawn, have fun!

Stopped by and visited with Mike and Jean on our way to the Ferry last Tuesday.

They are doing well and Jeannius looks great, new bimini, etc. mike has all kinds of new goodies including the watermaker to make your trip very comfortable.

Keep us posted along the way!

I'll try! I have never met them, but have heard wonderful things, which is why I am going!

Can't wait, three more sleeps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use