BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Big snapper at Cow Wreck Beach

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject:  Big snapper at Cow Wreck Beach

I caught this 31-pound dog-tooth snapper while sitting in a beach chair in the front yard of Hidden Treasure (our cottage on Anegada).

A funny thing happened Tuesday night. I had a hookup that spooled me. I was fishing one of our heavy spinning rods (30# line). The fish hit and stripped line like a rocket. I figured that I got spooled because I was late getting the drag down tight enough.

So, I rerigged, but left the drag set fairly tight. I was working on Nancy's tackle when I heard my drag start to sing. The rod was in a rod holder, and before I could reach it, the rod flew out like a rocket and hit the sand. I chased it as hard as I could, but the fish could pull the rig faster than I could run and I chased my rig into the sea. The water was very clear and I was wearing a headlamp, so I followed the rod as far as I could, but it just kept going. We had just caught a couple of good sized lemon sharks, so I figured that being out in the sea wearing a light might not be such a great idea and gave up on the rig.

Wednesday morning, I put on my snorkel gear and swam out to the reef. I spotted the end of my line zig-zagged all around the reef, so I followed it and retrieved my rod and reel, which were undamaged - other than spending the night in the sand on the bottom of the sea.

I tore down the reel, cleaned the sand out of it, lubed it up, and that is the rig that I caught the big snapper on.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:38 pm    

Talk about Karma ... what a Great Story!

What a Big Fish!!!
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 pm    

Hey Walker,

I was born in the VI but left when I was about 9 years old. I live in Vermont now and am bringing some friends down to show them 'my home' this December. I'll be sure to share this story with all the Vermonters!

Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use