BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Permission to Anegada?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Question Permission to Anegada?

Wow, very interesting forum. I've been occasionally lurking for a couple of months, but now have a question that I'd guess one of you can help me with (dangling prepositions are another matter).

We're starting a 10-day bareboat on a Lagoon 380 from Horizon on July 2. Any advice on getting permission to go to Anegada? We've successfully done this bareboat-thing before, BVI - 1999 for 10 days and Belize - 2001 for 7, both times on Cats. Anegada sounds a little like Belize for coral-watching and anchoring concerns.

Anyone have experience with Horizon on this or any other issue?

btw, huge thanks to Walker, Herve, and Frank Burkle for great web pages.

Dan O
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:28 pm    

Dan,

Getting to Anegada is really not the big deal that some make it to be.....
First of all on most days it's like I 95 North....just follow the traffic.
But I guess you might be tempted to "do It" on your own so just follow Walker's most excellent advice and GPS coordinates.
The best time to arrive is around 10 am... this way you beat the bulk of the fleet there and most overnighters are gone or going....leaves you with empty moorings or plenty of room to anchor.
I imagine that Horizons like the rest of the charter companies are now allowing most skippers to go, but still ask just in case.

Have fun
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:39 pm    

Thanks Herve,
I'm not worried about getting there, it's the permission part from Horizon... Their contract specifically forbids it without an on-site okay. Glad to hear that it is becoming more standard. After Belize and the Abacos, I would think I can convince them I can do the shallow water thing.

Walker's directions are so complete, it's almost cheating.

9 days and counting.
Dan O
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:36 pm    

Anchoring there is a non-issue -- best bottom in all the BVI. And, as long as you go through the channel entry, you will not come anywhere near any coral. You won't even see any.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:56 am    

Hello Dan,
We chartered a Lagoon 380 - Romance - from Horizon just a couple of summers ago. We took all of Walker's documentation with us and reviewied with the checkout skipper - no problems. Keep in mind those Lagoons draft more than most cats - so keep a sharp eye out and ensure you're approaching at mid-day.

We'll be out there later this month on a Island Spirit from Horizon. Sorry we'll probably miss you. Maybe we can touch base and compare trip reports or drink recipies in August?

Cheers for Colo.
Scott & Holly Jacob
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:43 am    

We just returned last night, sigh. No troubles with the Anegada permission from Horizon and no trouble getting to Anegada. Did notice just 2 red bouys and 1 green, so even Walker's latest chart (June!) needs a revision. Plenty of company up there as well.

Romance's wind gauge didn't work and my vacation attitude precluded figuring out the GPS/Chartplotter setup so we sailed the old fashioned way, compass and sea-state.

Plenty of wind (15-22 knts) for early July, too.

Dan O
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Pirate Chart is correct

My chart doesn't need a revision. I show the positions of the buoys as they are supposed to be. When (if) the missing ones get replaced, they should go back in the locations that I have charted.

My Navigating to Anegada page and my GPS Waypoints page both tell you that the buoys are not currently there.

In addition, by showing the charted positions (and listing them on the waypoints page), you can create a "virtual" buoy on your GPS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use