BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Touch-Up Software

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Camera Touch-Up Software

Anyone ever heard of or used Portrait Professional 6? www.pprof.com
Got some graduation pictures to take and I know I will be needing some pix touched up.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:38 am    

That is an interesting looking product - but I have no experience with it and do not know anyone that does.
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:  RE: Picture Window

Hi

We use an excellent Photo Editing program called Picture Window, which exists in a Standard Edition and a Pro version. (We use the latter - the Pro version, and have since it first came out - it’s now in version 4.0.) It’s owned by Jonathan Sachs, the programmer who co-founded Lotus - the source of Lotus 1-2-3.

It’s basically a beautifully integrated digital darkroom - without the smells and the rigidly defined details of chemistry, temperature and lighting. It differs from Photoshop in being related solely to photo manipulation and is not a graphics design program (no CMYK manipulations - if you’re trying to print a book using separations or design a rock album cover). The principal feature that means the most to me is the fact that there it has a message board filled with help from professionals - including the owner and his chief programmer, Kiri Sinkel. Another great feature is the presence of a tremendous set of .PDF documents on every aspect of photographic editing. (Look under Articles.) BTW, it’s the favorite tool of astrophotographers.

You could check it out by looking at : www.dl-c.com/content/view/12/26/. Take a look at the message board. There is a 30-day evaluation available.

Peace
Dugg and Chris
http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/
Note : Finally got the ‘96, ‘97, ‘98, ‘02 and ‘04 pics posted
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:15 am    

Cant believe i missed this post.
Thanks for the link Dugg. Will check it out now.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:49 pm    

Dugg, how does this product compare to Lightroom? It sounds like the two programs were created with the same overall goal in mind...a tool created from the ground up for photographers. I personally prefer to use Bridge & Photoshop, but most of my friends who are either new to photography or experienced pro photog's seem to love Lightroom.

The fact that Picture Window was created by the guy who made Lotus makes me not want to try it. Just kidding...sort of. We use Lotus Notes here at work, and it is by far the worst mail/calendar system I have ever used.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:23 pm    

cpMike wrote:
We use Lotus Notes here at work, and it is by far the worst mail/calendar system I have ever used.

Same here! What a piece of garbage!
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject:  Touch-up software

Hi

All I know about Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is what I can gather from its web site. One big difference between this and Picture Window is the price (full version is $299 vs. $89.95). But of course we’re talking about Abobe here folks. It is advertised as a Photo Management application and it would appear that another industrial strength pool of teachers, consultants, manual writers and assorted gurus are springing up - a smaller version of the Photoshop industry.

BTW, what was released in June was Lightroom 1.0 Beta. A good start would be to look at the review in Imaging Resource : www.imaging-resource.com/SOFT/LRM/LRM.HTM.

Looks as though it’s pointed at the professional photographer and his/her work flow problems.

Peace
Dugg & Chris
Link to this postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:52 pm    

That article is super old (in computer years). Lightroom 1.0 Beta was out in 2006. Lightroom 2.0 was released at the end of July this year. Lightroom is not a "pro" tool...sure it aims to save pros time through advanced workflow automation, but the people who like it most are enthusiasts / amateurs because it's way more simple and easier to use than Photoshop. LR 2.0 has a lot of improvements over 1.0, and I'm considering giving it a try. The only thing holding me back is that I don't like the whole database aspect of it...the importing, exporting, managing, etc. I like regular filesystems because they're easy to backup and move around.
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 pm    

Hi

Sorry about the old reference from Imaging Resource - didn’t look at the date, but it is a source of info that I have always trusted. The price given for Lightroom, however, is correct, and I have no reason to change the opinion stated with regard to the utility of the software - as dedicated to the work flow problems of a photographer, either professional or “advanced amateur”, whatever that is.

Peace
Dugg & Chris
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 am    

Hey no reason to get defensive, I was just pointing out that it has a lot more uses (and users) than pros who want a managed workflow. It also fills a niche between the cheap basic programs like Corel PaintShop Pro and the $650 Photoshop.
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject:  Touch-Up Software

Hi

Not to worry - no defense was required! handshake Just curious - since a lot of fellow amateurs I know think that the newest version of Adobe Photoshop Elements is more than enough to meet their needs (and a lot less expensive) - would welcome a comparison of the features of PE and Lightroom. Hopefully, the learning curve will be less steep than with Photoshop.

Peace
Dugg & Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use