BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Walker's Digital Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:20 pm    

My 30D does require fairly frequent sensor cleaning - primarily because I change lenses a lot, and I change lenses in less than ideal environments. There are no dust-free places on Anegada!

I try to minimize the amount of dust that I introduce to the camera by the removing the cap from the new lens, quickly pre-positioning the new lens before I remove the old lens, get it into place quickly, then cap the old lens ASAP.

The best way to detect dust spots is to go outside, manually set set your focus to infinity, then take a photo of a cloudless section of blue sky at small aperture (high f-stop). If your sensor has dust spots, you will see them.

I mostly use canned air to clean my sensor, but sometimes have to resort to a manual swab with a solvent. This is a real pain, but sometimes necessary.

The integrated sensor cleaner on the latest models will probably be the thing that eventually drives me to replace my 30D.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:22 pm    

Right, sometimes a "field cleaning" is inevitable and it sure sounds like you've got a good handle on how to do it.

Walker wrote:
The integrated sensor cleaner on the latest models will probably be the thing that eventually drives me to replace my 30D.

And they DID just release the 50D.... Wink
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:26 pm    

cpMike wrote:
Right, sometimes a "field cleaning" inevitable and it sure sounds like you've got a good handle on how to do it.

Walker wrote:

And they DID just release the 50D.... Wink

Which costs roughly the same as two round-trips between Houston and Anegada. Otherwise, it looks perfect. I'm planning on holding out until the 50D's successor comes out, then pick up a 50D. Another 12 to 18 months on Canon's cycle, I figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use