BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Garmin ETrex Legend Cx

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject:  Garmin ETrex Legend Cx

I just wondered if there was any way to get a chart uploaded to my GPS unit through MapSource instead of ordering it through the memory card.

I bought a used version of BlueChart Americas 2008 from someone, but it came on CD and I can see everything on my PC in MapSource, but can't seem to transfer the data to my GPS.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:54 pm    

MapSource is the tool for uploading maps to your GPS. However, the CD must be unlocked for your GPS. You have to do that online through the Garmin website, and you have to have an unlock code (comes on a certificate). Did you get any unlock codes with the CD?
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:40 am    

I use mapsource/garmin blue charts for my Garmin76CsX. These maps are protected better than Fort Knox. I believe you MAY need to purchase another unlock code depending on the circumstances:

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/policy.asp

Buying this stuff in a secondary market is risky at best.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:58 am    

Walker wrote:
MapSource is the tool for uploading maps to your GPS. However, the CD must be unlocked for your GPS. You have to do that online through the Garmin website, and you have to have an unlock code (comes on a certificate). Did you get any unlock codes with the CD?

I sent an email to the person that I purchased the CD from, I'll see if he has the codes. Most likely he used it already on his GPS, so I will probably have to pay for another unlock.... Sad

I'll let you know how I make out, and thanks for your help!

Dawn
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:11 am    

Somebody sold you a BlueChart CD without unlock codes? cloud
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:41 pm    

DawnB wrote:
I sent an email to the person that I purchased the CD from, I'll see if he has the codes. Most likely he used it already on his GPS, so I will probably have to pay for another unlock.... Sad

I'll let you know how I make out, and thanks for your help!

Dawn

Dawn get the codes and try it. According to the link provided above, your allowed two install on two Garmin devices so you might be OK.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:58 pm    

MrBombastic wrote:
According to the link provided above, your allowed two install on two Garmin devices so you might be OK.

The problem is that the unlock requires you to go to the Garmin website, which records the unlocks and the devices. If the person that sold her the CD has already used the unlock twice, then she will have to buy a new unlock.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:39 pm    

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

All is well!

I was able to get the code, and use it to unlock the maps for my GPS.

(I hope I never have to do it again, though, as this was the 2nd time for that code - one for me, and one for him!)

And Walker, your waypoints are happily on my GPS as well!

PS - I am chartering through Brent at ProValor and he will only let the boat go to Anegada if I have a GPS and waypoints downloaded from some site called bvipirate.com - LMAO

I told him I was already there... rofl
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:40 pm    

DawnB wrote:
PS - I am chartering through Brent at ProValor and he will only let the boat go to Anegada if I have a GPS and waypoints downloaded from some site called bvipirate.com - LMAO

If that's not an endorsement for the accuracy of Walker's surveying, I don't know what is.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:11 am    

cpMike wrote:

If that's not an endorsement for the accuracy of Walker's surveying, I don't know what is.

Tell me about it!

I laughed when he wrote that to me, and responded that I had already used Walker's waypoints on several visits to the BVI's (not just Anegada), so I didn't think that we would have any problem...

rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use