BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Garmin etrex

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuplayer
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject:  Garmin etrex

I've seen this unit on ebay for about $100. Does anyone have experience with it? I know you can mark waypoints on it that you've roamed, but what about entering a destination waypoint that you haven't actually been to?
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:33 pm    

What model Garmin Etrex is it? I just got the Vista HCx just the other day to replace the Legend I dropped in the Carribean sea. So far I absolutely love it. Has a geocaching mode which is very cool...this is one of my new hobbies I picked up in the BVI!!!
fuplayer
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:29 pm    

This is, I believe, their entry model, yellow body, not sure if it has been discontinued or not. Maybe I should move on to something else. You get what you pay for.
fuplayer
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:03 pm    

Well I've answered my own question. Yes you can enter waypoints for any destination on the eTrex. This thing really is pretty neat for the price. I've entered a route( several waypoints) from North Sound to Anegada using Walker's data and am ready to give it try when we arrive next week. It's also useful in giving you your speed, since most every knotmeter I've seen on charter boats are usually fouled and not working. Cool
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:57 pm    

If you have a gps and are going to Anegada, make sure you check out Walker's two geocaches on Anegada (check out www.geocaching.com.) Worth the short hikes for each...
fuplayer
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:00 pm    

bsafrit wrote:
If you have a gps and are going to Anegada, make sure you check out Walker's two geocaches on Anegada (check out www.geocaching.com.) Worth the short hikes for each...
Will do, thanks
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:54 pm    

Here are links to my two Anegada geocaches:

Anegada North Shore
Anegada West End
fuplayer
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:35 pm    

Just wondering, do you folks feel that the speed indicators on these units are very accurate?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 pm    

fuplayer wrote:
Just wondering, do you folks feel that the speed indicators on these units are very accurate?

Very accurate - probably the most accurate speed indicator that you will find if you are traveling at constant or nearly constant speed.

The speed indicated is an average speed - usually over the last few seconds. If your speed is changing, the instantaneous readout may not be correct because it is an average.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use