BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Seeking recent info on specific restaurants for August trip

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Restaurants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject:  Seeking recent info on specific restaurants for August trip

Has anyone been to any of the following places this past season? Do you have any info that would steer us towards or clear of them when we're down there in mid-August (good or bad experiences, closed, new management, etc)?

1. That place on Norman in the bight that is not Willie T and keeps changing its name

2. Top of the Baths - we put up with the food and their attitude for the wonderful pool

3. Sidney's Peace & Love. No shoes, no service. Even with shoes, still no service. But great setting and self-service bar.

4. Last Resort. Did they get a new donkey? Did the singing chef learn any new jokes?

5. The place with the volleyball court on Prickly Pear, North Sound

6. Fat Hog Bobs - actually we love this restaurant, just not the harbor

These aren't necessarily my favorite restaurants in the BVI, but each of them has redeeming qualities, and if the wind is blowing favorably, we go. So, any recent info on any of them would be appreciated.

- P (Same Pbdk as TTOL)
tothedogs
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:09 am    

We were down in early June.

Sidneys is unchanged. I know people love it or hate it. I have always enjoyed it and get along well with Sidney and his family. Lobsters were fantastic though you will not be able to get them in August.

The Sandbox on Prickly Pear was open for drinks only and was not serving dinner. I am not certain about lunch. We were told that the owner was deciding what to do for the next high season.

Have a good trip.

Bob
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:19 am    

Top of the Baths: This is a favorite breakfast spot of ours (through The Baths early to Devil's Bay, then up the longer trail from there as soon as others start arriving). On a recent visit at the end of June, it seemed the attitude of our server was better than usual and the eggs benedict were very good. Don't know about lunch or dinner here.

The Sandbox (Prickly Pear): We like to spent at least part of a day here and have lunch. As landlubbers, we arranged for them to pick us up at Gun Creek, but they never showed. The driver of the Saba Rock boat was nice enough to take us over. We were the only ones there. Menu was limited, but decent - burgers, fish sandwich, etc. I was a bit surprised by the high prices, but they did take us back to Gun Creek in the afternoon.

You didn't mention the Bath & Turtle, but I will. I never cared for the atmosphere - too much like a shopping mall food court. They have a new deck outside overlooking the harbor that's much nicer. Now if they'll just work on the food, which I think is mediocre at best.

BTW, it seemed (and confirmed in conversations with some staff and owners) that business in general is very slow at most restaurants. Many are really hurting and I sensed somewhat of a defeatist attitude from some.
Dmgators
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 am    

We ate at Fat Hog Bob's 2 weeks ago and thought it was better than last year. I had the ribs and Jack had the grouper platter. Both were really really good. Just love the view!
(and this picture doesn't really do it justice....)

Also, we noticed that lots of places seemed to be "out" of many menu choices, i.e. no Fried Shrimp at Stanley's, only burgers and dogs at Jewels in White Bay.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:48 am    

Pirates Bight - Folks in group agreed better than prior years but not really great. For whatever reason we seem to try it every year hoping things will get much better. Willy T would be my choice.

The Sand Box- We spent about 4 or 5 days in North Sound in March. Each day the cruise ship "Sea Dream" was there. The cruise ship rents all the beach chairs for the sheeple, sets up there own bar and buffet. As a result The Sandbox was not open for lunch or drinks. Due to the swells in March, there were a couple of days 2 Sea Dream ships were in the North Sound. It was miserable.

Last Resort - We like the Last Resort, it's always on the agenda. The food is good. Al the singing chef is great. I think the music and jokes change from year to year but I'm not really takin notes when I'm there. We have a blast. Al is real talented.

Not sure if any of the above are open in August.
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:  Restaurants

I though Pirates was fine. We enjoyed Oceans in Great Harbor, Peter Island. Levrick's upstair restaurant was pricey but well worth it (I had the lamb chops). I didn't care for my rueben at Top of the baths, but I really should have known better. Cooper just didn't appeal to me so we ate on the boat. Didn't get to Anegada because of high winds and swell early in our trip which set us back a few days.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:23 pm    

Things have been slow all season. The Tourist board comes up with cheery numbers, but i know the villa rentals have been off and the hotels have considerably higher vacancy rates. Back in March, very little action after 6 pm, sheeple were gone and so were the regulars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Restaurants All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use