BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
BVI June/July '08 Trip report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:42 pm    

If no one speaks up we can't possibly expect authorities to change. The recent Port Authority fees in the BVI are a good example.

Given the number of boats that frequent the anchorages of the BVI the police *should* (yes - that is an expectation on my part) have a standard procedure for reaching a boat, whether that is through their own resources, shared resources, or commandeering civil resources. Clearly they either don't have such a standard procedure or the training is inadequate.

Perhaps a carefully crafted, extremely civil letter to the Commissioner of Police would help.

EDIT:
Contact information - http://www.psdp.gov.vg/index.php?ref=charters&charterid=29
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:42 pm    

Just so ypu know, 2 emails were sent, no reply whatsover for 5 days!

Appears when a local is involved, old buddies, they just ignore t.

Prolly the same reason they did not respond to the 3 phone calls,.

Can't get to the boat, gimme a break, a short walk to the dinghy dock at CGB, you CAN get to the boat, they (BVI Police) really have diappointed us, not impressed at all.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:31 pm    

Hmmmm, letter to the editor of the Beacon and/or Standpoint might be in order. (I assume they can read)
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:38 am    

Looks like the BVI is beefing up the police force:

http://www.caribbean360.com/News/Caribbean/Stories/2008/07/30/NEWS0000006117.html
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 am    

MrBombastic wrote:
Looks like the BVI is beefing up the police force:

http://www.caribbean360.com/News/Caribbean/Stories/2008/07/30/NEWS0000006117.html

That is good news. Currently, a fair portion of the BVI police force is comprised of non-belongers from other Caribbean islands. Some of them are very good, but (IMHO) some others of them have a down-island attitude.

Some new blood from the UK might make a big improvement.
nodee
Link to this postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:24 am    

Walker, Thanks for this venue and all you do for us travellers that love the BVI and Anegada in particular.

Mark, cheers to you for your handling of this rediculous event. Don't give up an a wonderful place just because of assholes, I am not sure where in the world you could go to escape them.

Auspicious wrote:
Quote:
Given the geography and charter industry I would like to understand why there isn't a police boat in Great Harbour (covers all of JVD), one in Soper's (covers West End at least as far as Brewer's), one in Road Town (covers South shore), and one in Spanishtown (covers VG and splits Salt/Ginger/Peter/Norman with Road Town boat).

While I believe that the security and response in the BVI could be improved, I would hope that the pendulum would not swing too far. One of the attractions of travelling to other worlds is that things are different than they are at home. There are lots of terrible events that happen throughout the world and things get handled in different ways. Here http://riodulcechisme.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1871 is an interesting discussion on local justice with a recent event on the Rio Dulce. Not saying this is right or wrong, good or bad, just different and sometimes it is the "different" that makes a place attractive. Let's not fill the anchorages up with police boats on patrol.
That said, I absolutely agree that the response to Mark's assault could have been handled better.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:36 am    

Welcome aboard Nodee!!! newbie

Thanks for what you said, and yes, I will be back soon to make the BVI's "mine" again very soon as my friend Tom Garvey said.
Very Happy
nodee
Link to this postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:25 am    

Thanks, Saildoggie. I hope Catco does what they can for you. I have chartered several times with them and it has always been a first class experience. I own an L440 here in Maryland; not in charter. One of my clients has a 500 in charter with Catco, hope it wasn't his.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:49 pm    

Catco cooperated fully, the President was extremly concerned and helped out a lot.

The boat was named Sea Dreams.

The local Captain was a Moorings Captain, hired diectly by the chrterers.

The Moorings appeared to take this very seriously and told me the man would never work for them again.

I am told by a good friend on ilon that he is playing role of Captain again, was in a recent flotilla, not sure what charter Co.

I have an email into my contact at The Moorings that assured me he would no longer work for them, in my mind that includes sunsail and Footloose.

My email has remained unanswered, interesting....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, All
Page 8 of 8

Jump to:  

Terms of Use