BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
St. Thomas Airport Anchorages

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> U.S. Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBVI
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:  St. Thomas Airport Anchorages

I plan to pick up guests at the St. Thomas Airport this winter and then head for Culebra. Does anyone have suggestions for a decent overnight anchorage near the airport that also has a dingy dock we can use briefly?
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:44 pm    

Wow, this is an old post, but the questin is still relevant to me. Last week we anchored in Lindbergh Bay overnight so as to easily get my son on a flight out early the next morning. We found good holding there in 20' depth off the swimming area on the East side...the plow anchor set on the first try. It was a little rolly as the wind shifted to ESE, but was fine after I did the usual steps of quieting the boat down. My wife dropped my son and I off at the beach near the pilings from an old pier and took the dink back to the boat as I didn't feel safe leaving it on the beach because of the wave action and proximity to the public road and easy access to anyone with criminal intent. The walk to the airport was easy and short. My son checked in thru customs with VI sand still stuck to his feet.
Another advantage to this location is that it is close to Crown Bay Marina for restocking provisions, water and fuel before heading out to Culebra.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 am    

I picked a crew member up there way back in 1985. At the time the pilings still supported a pier, which was very handy.

Aren't there a couple of small hotels right between Lindbergh Bay and the airport parking lot? Did any of them have a dinghy dock or other facilities that could be used for a quick pick-up or drop off?

The charts show a lot of buried cables in Lindberg Bay. That's worth paying attention to.

sail fast, dave
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:03 am    

There's a Best Western right there. We stayed there a couple of weeks ago, and it was nice.
It's a VERY short cab-ride to the airport. It's such a pretty bay I've thought of taking a bareboat there for an overnight, but just have never done it.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:54 pm    

Yes. we were anchored outside the swim area of the Emerald Beach Resort. There are 2 other hotels on that bay, one is on the West side up on the cliffs next to the airport and another on the East side, but none have a dock of any kind. Unless you have a lot of luggage, a taxi really isn't worth it. The buried cable gave me some concern, too. So I asked the charter company ops mgr for clearance to anchor there and he had no problem with it. Gee, maybe that is why we had such good holding there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> U.S. Virgin Islands All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use