BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Great Harbor and Fat Hogs Bay

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Peter Island, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:  Great Harbor and Fat Hogs Bay

Hi Walker, Been reading your site for the past 2 years, thanks for a great info site. We will be making our third trip to the BVI's in April.
We have a few of questions, one How is Great Harbor at Peter Island for an overnight stay, and are mooring balls readily available?
Second, is Fat Hog's Bay a good overnight place to stay? We're looking for a few different palces to stay than the usual Norman Island and Cooper island.
Third, Are mooring balls available at Little Jost? We heard they took them out?
Thanks.
Ken[/b]
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:23 pm    

Ken:

I have the same question on Great Harbor at Peter. I can pass this along, but its based on my trip planning research, chart study and feedback from TTOL, which indicates that the SE part of the GH is more protected, and I am told that Little Harbor is OK too. You asked about mooring balls; I understand that there are some in front of Oceans7 (west side of bay in Great, so they can be exposed for overnight) and no balls on the east, so you'd be on anchor in SE Great as well as Little Harbors. Great Harbor is deeper, and so you need to get in close to SE, plus the bottom drops away quick, making for less sand on the bottom for holding - unlike Little Harbor. One of these is a stop for us in April - so we'll see. If you hear about Jost, please let me know.

H Man
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:42 am    

We just returned last week and yes, there are still mooring balls in Little Harbor JVD. Seemed to be the same amount as there were back in November.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 am    

Tom, the guy that we sailed with last January, keeps his cat anchored there when he is not in the islands. We met up him on our flight down to STT and taxied to Fat Hogs Bay from the Roadtown ferry dock. It was a wild 20 minute TAXI ride with a blaring evangelist on the radio.

By the time we got there it was dark. As we had not eaten we decided to have beer & pizza across the road from the marina where Pro Valour is located. What great eats! And great bar characters! A couple of Tom's friends from Canada keep their boats anchored in FHB all winter as well. These guys are in their 70's and regularly single hand their boats to SXM and back.

We had arranged for Bobbys to deliver around 730 but from across the road in the bar we never saw them arrive. Turns out we were wrong in looking for a "BOBBYS" truck. The next AM I wanted to call Bobbys but all of pay phones were dead. The Pro Valour folks were kind enough to let me use their phone and we sorted out delivery with Bobbys...they had used a taxi the previous night so that is why we missed them.

A short walk down the road is a small Riteways where we picked up some last minute items. We then sailed around to Trellis Bay to see if there were any balls...NOT! It was Dec 31 and the place was jammed so we sailed back to FHB. After another pizza dinner we bummed a ride to the Trellis Bay party with one of Tom's friends. We partied and then hitchhiked back after the fireball.

FHB has the conveniences (showers water food drinks) but it is a quiet spot overall. Sleeping on the hook was smooth.
skip1007
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject:  Mooring Balls at JVD

We were in JVD, June 21-28. There were mooring balls at White Bay, Little Harbor and Diamond Cay. Don't know about any others since we weren't there. The number of balls is limited, so arrive early!!!

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Peter Island, BVI All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use