BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Fishing License for shore fishing and tips?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jplee3
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Note Fishing License for shore fishing and tips?

Hi all,

Will be in Tortola next week and jumping on an island hopping tour (likely to Norman, Cooper and Peter Islands). I don't intend to fish off the boat but I am interested in fishing from shore from the various islands we may be touring. Is a fishing license/permit required in this case? And are there any restrictions to be aware of otherwise?

Oh, and was also looking for advice on tackle/lures/line to bring. I have a cheap 6'6" rod rated for 6-12lb line and a 3000 sized spinning reel with 15lb braid loaded on it. Will that be sufficient for catching stuff from shore? I wish I could bring a longer rod but I'm trying to 'sneak' a setup onto the cruise ship and nothing else I have packs down to fit inside a day pack or drybag haha. This would all be C&R btw.
Should I fish a 10-20' 12lb fluoro leader? Lighter? What size hooks and sinkers (if fishing grubs)? Carolina rigged? Dropshot? Or should I just fish swimbaits, kastmasters, krocs, poppers and surface baits?

TIA!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:55 pm    

No license is required. In fact, they do not have an applicable license for shore/wade fishing.

Your rig sounds ideal. 6 feet of 12# mono leader on tghe end of the braid will do.

If you want to bottom fish, then a carolina rig with 2/0 hooks and 1/2 ounce egg will work fine.

I generally cast swimbaits and silver spoons.
jplee3
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:03 pm    

walker wrote:
No license is required. In fact, they do not have an applicable license for shore/wade fishing.

Your rig sounds ideal. 6 feet of 12# mono leader on tghe end of the braid will do.

If you want to bottom fish, then a carolina rig with 2/0 hooks and 1/2 ounce egg will work fine.

I generally cast swimbaits and silver spoons.

Thanks! I'll bring some 6' lengths of mono leader in that case. When c-rigging, what kind of bait(s) or plastics are you fishing? Grubs? Squid? Any 'local' live bait to harvest from the sand/rocks like mole crabs perhaps, etc?

I'll probably bring some krocs, kastmasters, swimbaits and grubs. Any recommended colors?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm    

I use cut bait when bottom fishing.

I use Berkley Swim Shad or Storm Wildeye Swim Shad - 3" size, prerigged. Just tie one on and cast.
jplee3
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:52 pm    

walker wrote:
I use cut bait when bottom fishing.

I use Berkley Swim Shad or Storm Wildeye Swim Shad - 3" size, prerigged. Just tie one on and cast.

I think I have a couple of those Storm Shads. I have 2-3" Gulp Alive scented Mullets in chartreuse/yellow too. Other than that I have a number of others (can't seem to get it to post into the thread as a picture):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mTAKRFLBoRLwu6ZD9

Any I shouldn't bother bringing and that I should just leave at home? I swear I had a blue/silver kastmaster but can't find it for the life of me. I also have some larger 4-5" swimbaits of various colors as well as Hookup Baits in green sardine and red crab.

Last edited by jplee3 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:15 pm    

The link above doesn'r work for me I forgot to mention that the color that seems to work best for me on the swim shad if "Firetiger".
jplee3
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:52 pm    

walker wrote:
The link above doesn'r work for me I forgot to mention that the color that seems to work best for me on the swim shad if "Firetiger".

Thanks! Let me know if this link works - https://photos.app.goo.gl/mTAKRFLBoRLwu6ZD9

I think I have some bomber-style lures too and some Rapalas (had a firetiger one but I think I lost it... ugh:
jplee3
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:41 am    

Also, I *might* have access to a kayak and or paddle board. Is a license/permit required if fishing off either? Or are the permits/licenses really only intended for those who plan to fish off a motorized vessel or vessel intended for "sport fishing"?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:34 am    

They may work - never tried anything like that here. This is what I use:

No license for anything other than a boat. No license for kayak/paddleboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use